Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I can list a whole page of whats been going on, but basically

I can list a whole page of whats been going on, but basically my wife is on warfarin long term, but she is suffering severe abdominal pain, and has been in and out of hospital. but they cannot find anything wrong.
I have come to the conclusion it is the warfarin, what can i do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Could you describe what has led to the conclusion that it is the warfarin?
What is the reason for which she is taking the warfarin?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Warfarin is taken becouse of a blood clot in her head 26/12/13

also on medication for fits,

also type 2 diabetic.

Reason i think it's the warfarin back in may she lost a lot of blood, and had a transfusion, since she has had nausia, loss of apatite, severe stomach pains, has been tested for gastro regions and pelvic reasons all test show clear.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello i am waiting for some feedback thankyou.

Thank you for the additional information. I'm sorry, but it takes some time to type a complete answer.

There are a couple of considerations in this situation.

The adverse effect that you describe is a problem with bleeding. Any anticoagulant can cause a problem with bleeding and requiring a blood transfusion. If the warfarin was causing a significant elevation in the prothrombin time (PT), then a recurrence of the problem can typically be avoided by closer monitoring of blood tests and adjustment of the dose.

If it was not associated with a significant elevation of the PT, then it would be appropriate to consider alternatives to the warfarin. The alternatives to warfarin would depend upon the reason for which the warfarin is prescribed. For the problem that she had, the alternative would be the use of a drug similar to heparin, such as Lovenox (called a low molecular weight heparin).

On the other hand, any drug that is used as an anticoagulant can cause bleeding, so it is possible that a similar adverse reaction can occur from any anticoagulant. The only real advantage in using a different anticoagulant would be that she may be more sensitive to the warfarin, so may tolerate a different drug better.

So, if the reaction was not due to an excessive elevation of the PT, the next consideration would be the use of an alternative drug, and you should talk with her doctor about an alternative, such as the Lovenox.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.