Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hello, I am English but on holiday in cyprus, I got admitted

Customer Question

Hello, I am English but on holiday in cyprus, I got admitted into hospital with gastroenteritis and got discharged after anti biotics and a drip. I still feel dizzy sometimes on the left hand side of my head and have a weird sensation that side too. Is this something to worry about?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Although dizziness with a gastroenteritis is generally considered a concern that there is some dehydration, the fact that you were just discharged from the hospital would typically indicate that there was no evidence of significant dehydration.

Therefore, it would generally not be a reason for worry, although it would be appropriate to be drinking plenty of fluids. And it also would be appropriate to be drinking fluids that are better at hydrating the body, such as sports drinks. If there is nausea and vomiting due to the gastroenteritis, it may be necessary to use a medicine to help ease the symptoms, which will also facilitate increasing the fluid intake.

However, there is no reason for worry beyond these common sense interventions to improve symptoms and assure hydration.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your response, would the slight on and off pain in my left side of head be due to this too? I had also woke up with a bad neck.
It can be related to hydration status, but it also can occur simply as a systemic symptom related to the acute infection. Since it is associated with the dizziness, that increases the likelihood that it is related to hydration, but if the dizziness improves with hydration and the intermittent pain persists, then it would be due to the infection. There is usually no need to do anything beyond the hydration and the over the counter pain medicines that you said you are already taking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you for this information, just to add to information on me if this makes any difference I suffer from migraines and have done for the last 10 years and see a neurologist and have had a brain scan 5 years ago due to my mum suffering from a ruptured brain anyerism which does run in the family but my brain scan came back clear at that point.
That would not change any level of concern associated with the symptoms that you describe. If you develop a severe headache that is different than your usual migraine, that would be concerning, but not the symptoms that you describe.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for putting me at ease. I came out of hospital not yesterday but the day before is it normal to still have the dizzyness and the sensation on my head?
It may persist for several days to a week or so.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thank you, ***** ***** suggest taking electro lights and a rehydration drinks for after dihorea for the hydration?
The reason that I suggested the sports drinks is that they contain the electrolytes, so there is no need to take them separately. However, rehydration drinks would be similar and would also be OK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much you have helped me a lot and made me not so worried. Thank you.
You're welcome. I hope that you feel better soon.

If I have answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it normal for there to be a burning sensation in the left hand side of my head down my neck?
I'm sorry for the delay, but I was away from the computer when you responded.

Yes, this symptom can occur with this infection, possibly related to hydration status or directly related to the infection.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went back to the doctors and have an ear infection in both ears now
It is fairly common for a viral infection to secondarily affect the ear and cause an ear infection. These will frequently clear up without a specific intervention, so the current recommendations for ear infections in this setting is to only use antibiotics if the infection is particularly severe or if it persists for several days.