Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have autoimmune thyroiditis. I have just had a TH1/TH2 ratio

I have autoimmune thyroiditis. I have just had a TH1/TH2 ratio profile test taken.
My TNF-ALPHA - IL 4 and my TNF - ALPHA -IL 10 are both mid range, which I assume are OK.
My INF -GAMMA -IL 4 is 7.5 range is 8.8 to 21.0
My INF- GAMMA -IL 10 is 6.0 range is 601 to 14.8
These are both borderline low. Is this a serious problem for me? Will I be able to raise these levels by following a healthy diet & lifestyle?
Thank you for your help.
Dorothy Daniell
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Those numbers look fine Dorothy and in fact you want them low with an autoimmune disorder--if they were high then you could say your immune system was out of whack. The best thing you can do now is have a nutrient dense diet of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruits, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings per week of lean meats, fish and poultry along with a consistent exercise program