Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have sciatica and developed a sore toe and blister whilst

Customer Question

I have sciatica and developed a sore toe and blister whilst walking. Blister now healed but has left a sore toe uncomfortable when walking in addition to sciatica
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is it sore to press on the toe? If so, is it the entire toe or only a portion of the toe? If only a portion, where is it tender?
Could you list all of the oral medicines that you are taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sore to press on toe, mainly on outside. Not taking oral medicines.

Is the tenderness more at the base of the toe, at the joint with the foot?
Or is it more towards the tip of the toe?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Middle to joint with foot

Thank you for the additional information.

The most likely cause of the tenderness in the location that you describe would be musculoskeletal inflammation. If the joint at the base of the toe is tender, there would be particular concern about gout, which is a common cause of inflammation in this joint. There are other causes of musculoskeletal inflammation in the toe, particularly if it is away from the joint at the base of the toe.

The usual first step would be to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as naproxen. The topical medicines are OK to use, but are far less potent, so in someone with more significant pain, the oral anti-inflammatory medicine is usually recommended.

If the pain persists despite the naproxen, then it would be appropriate to be seen.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for information. The pain is not significant and rarely goes red until agitated by walking and sciatic pain. It is close to the area of the previous blister. I shall nevertheless try naproxen if chemist will sell. Is there a different remedy required for gout?

The naproxen is a first-line medicine for gout, but there are several others that can be prescribed if the naproxen is not sufficient, both for treatment of the inflammation in the joint, such as colchicine, and drugs to affect uric acid metabolism, such as allopurinol.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the opportunity to ask a further question under you seven day offer. As I feel in good health generally and do not take regular medication, this question is related in a way to my initial question.

Having suffered with sciatica for many years since pulling a back muscle at golf, I have had much advice and some treatment from a GP, physio, podiatrist, chiropractor, aqua puncture with probably the most specific acknowledging the sciatica and referring to lack of tissue around no 3 disc. I take mild exercise and use various ointments.

Recently the symptoms have increased on walking and standing to give soreness from toe (original q refers) through top of foot to ankle. The back pain is centred around the top of the right buttock.

The symptoms reduce significantly with rest and application of ointment. From your previous advice I suspect I shall need to visit my GP again if things do not improve perhaps to obtain the medicine you suggest.

I give this background as it leads to my question: I have light brown discoloured skin patches on both legs (mainly the right with sciatica), near the ankles and calf. They range from 2/3 inches to six inches roughly circular. They are not painful but the skin seems 'thin' and occasionally spots appear which take a long time to heal. I wondered if they were a symptom of the sciatica problem or more of a diet related problem?

Brown patches on the legs is usually due to inflammation in the skin. This would not be directly due to the sciatica or a dietary issue, although it can be indirectly related. One of the common reasons for inflammation of the skin of the leg is from poor venous circulation and limited activity can contribute to poor venous circulation. If the symptoms from the sciatica and the sore toe is decreasing your level of activity, then these problems can indirectly contribute to the skin discolouration.

There are also some forms of inflammation that are unrelated to venous circulation, but this would be the one cause that could be related to the sciatica and sore toe.

Another intervention that can be done to support venous circulation would be to wear compression stocking, such as TED stockings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have rated as excellent service. Thank you very much. I am still getting duplicate emails so hope everything has worked on system and the payment is processed.

You're welcome.