Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi can you please help withe following CTPA report, should

Customer Question

Hi can you please help withe following CTPA report, should i be concerned about the ground glass opacity?
CT Angiogram pulmonary: No definite pulmonary artery embolus demonstrated. No mass, no consolidation and no enlarged mediastinal lymph nodes.
On review on lung windows there is some slightly increased ground-glass opacity in the posterior lower lobes which probably represents dependent change although early infection is also a possiblity.
On review on bone windows no definite destructive bone lesion is seen.
In summary no definite pulmonary embolus demonstrated.
(scan done 11th August 2014)
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

What are you symptoms?

Customer:

none at the moment, i just want help withe report

Dr Uzair :

The report is actually self explanatory, ground glass appearance on CTPA can mean a normal appearance due to patial filling of the lungs or incomplete expiration of the lungs during the scan, other conditions that present as a ground glass appearance are edema, inflammation, infection, fibrosis, interstitial thickening and all these conditions also have clinical symptoms, which you have none.

Customer:

i have read somewhere online that it can be early signs of lung cancer, thats what was worrying me

Dr Uzair :

And the CTPA report has indicated that there is no nodule or mass seen in the Lungs and there is no area of collapse further ruling out any sinister condition in the lungs.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, the CTPA has ruled out cancer clearly.

Customer:

ok brilliant, are u a uk dr?

Dr Uzair :

No, I am not a UK doctor.

Customer:

ok, i went to see another dr privatelywho is a chest physician and he has 40 years experience and he as rather than on the NHS and he has said that its unlikely its cancer, he said if i was 70+ plus years of age then he would maybe investigate it. he said that i can have another CT scan in approx 3 months to check it again, do you think i need that?

Dr Uzair :

The next CT scan is for your peace of mind and not to rule anything out, since the first CT scan has clearly ruled out cancer and you do not have any symptoms. This fact has also been endorsed by your Radiologist and the experienced chest physician you saw.

Customer:

ok well i definately need the peace of mind, just a bit more info before you go, i had a CTPA approx 2 months prior to this one, and the report at that time was:

Customer:

There is normal enhancement of the pulmonary vasculature, there is no mediastinal lymphadenopathy or endobronchial lesion. there is no pleural effusion. Bilateral subtle apical pleural thickening is noted. There is no calcification. Linear subsegmental atelectasis is noted in the left base. No focal lung abnormality is seen otherwise. No focal bone abnormality. Conclusion: no PE

Customer:

do you think the subsegnemntal atelectatsis is similar to that ground glass opacity that was picked up recently?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, it could be. The ground glass appearance in your cases could be a result of residual thickening after atelectasis. However, I wouldn't sweat on both the CT reports, they do not indicate cancer nor any serious pathology you should worry about.

Customer:

sorry got dc

Dr Uzair :

No problem. I will re type my last statement.

Dr Uzair :

Dr Uzair says:

7:52 PM

Customer:

the main thing is i should not worry about having cancer because that is definatley ruled out?

Dr Uzair :

Yes, the CT scan is a sensitive test to rule out cancer in the lungs and definitely ruled out.

Customer:

ok many thanks for the advice it has brought my anxiety down quite a bit, so before you go, the chest speacilist is only doing a follow up scan to reassure me and not because he susupects something sinister?

Dr Uzair :

Not at all, just to alleviate your concerns and anxiety further.

Customer:

ok then, well i hope you have a nice day, many thanks

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.

Dr Uzair :

And you are welcome.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.