Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I slipped when jumping from boat to wet boat jetty Thursday

I slipped when jumping from boat to wet boat jetty Thursday last week landing hard on bottom. I felt nothing straight away but now have pain in the hip, top inner thigh, vaginally and a very strange ache in my rectum. It is very uncomfortable at night and after periods sitting or lying down I find it very hard to put my foot to the ground and lmp badly keeping weight on ball of foot until things seem to loosen. The dull ache and internal sensations persist throughout and get worse when I attempt my evening walk, after which again I limp and feel significant pain. Am I correct in assuming that these symptoms might be connected with fall? I intend visiting my physio tomorrow. Would this be the advised first course if action? (46 yr old moderately active (of late) female ... Osteopenia)
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Were you completely al right on friday till sunday?

Customer:

Hi there no pain / stiffness initially around groin and hip but worsened and first felt internal pain next day

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for you input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Customer:

Ok

Dr. Hasan :

As per description of your symptoms, yes the pain you are having is related to the fall.

Customer:

I suspected so

Dr. Hasan :

Initially it was just a muscular trauma but now the symptoms are indicative of nerve compression.

Dr. Hasan :

Which pain killer you are on?

Customer:

ibuprofen

Dr. Hasan :

Does it help?

Dr. Hasan :

400 mg three times a day?

Customer:

Thought that would reduce inflammation but doesn't help much ..

Dr. Hasan :

The extent of trauma you have is not likely to respond to ibuprofen.

Customer:

Ok is the physio a correct first stop?

Dr. Hasan :

I would suggest you to see your doctor as early as possible and you may need stronger pain killers.

Dr. Hasan :

Actually No

Dr. Hasan :

I would suggest you to see your GP

Dr. Hasan :

and if pain is unbearable then A & E.

Dr. Hasan :

Till then observe complete bed rest and don't put weight on affected leg.

Customer:

Ok i will do so. the pain is not sharp but persistent and deep, sharpens only when I get up or walk too much

Dr. Hasan :

Don't get stressed, you will be fine.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes that is why I suspect muscular and nerve compression both.

Dr. Hasan :

The dull pain is muscular and the sharp pain indicates nerve compression.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer:

ok ... Strange unaccustomed pain made me nervous. Makes sense. One final thing. Isn't here any likelihood this could be a stress fracture?

Dr. Hasan :

Less likely because in that case the pain should have been severe right after the injury.

Dr. Hasan :

But X rays required to rule out the possibility

Dr. Hasan :

Clinically speaking, fracture least likely.

Customer:

Great and phew .. Thank you. Only asking as I have osteo in hip and bad fall off horse years ago with trauma to pelvis / lumbar ...

Customer:

I will go to doctor tomorrow

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. Take care of yourself. I hope after proper treatment, you will be perfectly fine. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.