Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

I suffer from cramp at night. It wakes me several times each

I suffer from cramp at night. It wakes me several times each night. I have to get out of bed to walk about which eases it, then I go back to sleep and repeat the cycle.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Have you been seen for this as yet?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Do you have any other medical problems?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you on any medications for anything at the moment?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You mentioned using Quinine, did that help any?

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

I would appreciate it if you could provide me more information on the questions that I have asked above.
Please do not rate me for my services until you have received an answer.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I have consulted my GP who prescribed quinine which I have taken for a number of years. I am otherwise in excellent health and do not take any other medication

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 3 years ago.

You have what is called as nocturnal leg cramps. I would suggest that you should have a complete blood workup to check your electrolytes i.e. calcium and magnesium as well. Even if those are normal I would suggest that you should take plenty of fluids with calcium and magnesium supplements to see if that helps. Along with that I would recommend that you should also take vitamin D supplements as well. Use these for at least two weeks and see if they are helpful. Nocturnal night cramps are sometimes very difficult to treat and the treatment is kind of a hit and trial thing in terms of medications because no medication has definitively been proven to help. Let me know if you have more questions. Rate me for my services when you are done asking. Kindest Regards