Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have been on antidepressants. Currently on fluoxetine was

I have been on antidepressants. Currently on fluoxetine was on ciprilax. I am suffering from what I can only describe as head pulses. It like i can feel my brain contracting, I now this it not. I have been coming off this medication over the last few weeks, could this be the cause of the sensations I am experiencing?
P.S I experienced the same sensations in the past if I missed taken the antidepressants for aday or two.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Are you coming off from fluoxetine or cipralax? Are you doing this under your doctors supervision? Have you got your blood pressure checked? Do you have any diagnosed medical problem? Please provide this info as it will help me in providing a better answer. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was changed to fluoxetine as I had been on cipralax for quite some time. I am under my doctors supervision. I have been prescribed 20mg x 2 daily.

I am also taking Sevikar 20mg/5mg and inapamide 1.5mg for hypertennsion. Blood pressure today 123/85 pulse 75. Also on 20mg simvastatin andmirapexin 0.18mg

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
John thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Head pulsations can have many causes and the most important is high blood pressure. Since your blood pressure is normal, we can rule it out as a cause. In your case the answer is yes, withdrawal from most of the anti depressants can cause these head pulses and it is true for fluoxetine and cipralex as well. I would suggest you to inform your doctor about this too because being under his supervision means that he should be knowing about all the withdrawal symptoms you are having and he can make dosage changes accordingly and can add other drugs for short term to help you combat these symptoms. But till then don't get stressed, yes these head pulses can occur as withdrawal symptoms and are not associated with anything serious as per your case. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards