Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Im away traveling at the moment so dont have access to my

I'm away traveling at the moment so don't have access to my GP.... I'm 50 years old with perimenopausal symptoms i.e. irregular periods......after 7 months with no bleeding I got light spotting throughout July followed by a normal flow in August and heavy flow the last week.....I have no abdominal pain except some normal period pain.....should I be worried and get checked or wait to see if the bleeding stops?
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 3 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

These bleeding symptoms are considered in perimenopausal period.

Dr Basu :

You did not have period for long time.

Dr Basu :

During this period the uterus lining grew excessively.

Dr Basu :

Then due to its own pressure and blood supply compromise, it started sloughing off initially slowly.

Dr Basu :

this causes light bleeding.

Dr Basu :

Then the sloughing continues and the blood vessels in the linnig do not close easily.

Dr Basu :

This results in heavy bleeding.

Dr Basu :

That is why you see initially light, then normal, and then heavy flow.

Dr Basu :

Usually the bleeding stops by itself but may take long time sometimes.

Dr Basu :

Ibuprofen 600 mg 3 times daily with food can be taken to reduce the blood flow.

Dr Basu :

THis does not sound concerning.

Dr Basu :

But if the bleeding persists or becomes heavy, then you should consider going to the localhospital for hormonal treatment to stop the bleeding after clinical evaluation.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Customer: thank you very much....will give it another week and see how it progresses.....that's put my mind at ease....
Dr Basu :

very welcome