Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have severe pain coupled with pins and needles / numbness

Customer Question

I have severe pain coupled with pins and needles / numbness in both thighs and buttocks since having surgery. This first started after surgery for abdominal aorta repair last year but has been very severe since chest aorta repair in May this year. I collapsed at the start of May and the procedure to repair was undertaken. I remained in a coma for some 5 weeks and came too with this severe pain. It has not subsided since. My legs don't work properly in as much as I feel as though I am walking through water. I cannot find any respite and I cannot get anybody to listen to me. I am in severe pain all of the time, rest and sleep is very difficult and regular pain killers (paracetamol / ibuprofen etc) have little or no effect. Can you help me to even ask the right questions? I am pretty desperate.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sorry to hear about all this. Have you had MRI's of your brain and spine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
had a recent MRI of lower back and pelvis! but have not heard any results.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Gareth--and we can continue after this if you'd like. The MRI's would be essential to see what's going on here. This could be a disk problem in your back or something called spinal stenosis--a narrowing of the canal that the spinal cord passes through. Nerve root compression or compression on the spine itself could cause your symptoms. Considering your coma there is also the possibility of what's called thalamic stroke syndrome which involves the thalamus section of your brain. If it's a spine problem, proper therapy with a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--could help greatly but it might come down to needing surgery. If this is a thalamic stroke, unfortunately the only treatment is medication that might involve gabapentin, amiltryptilene, Celexa, and opiate pain killers. At this point I would also get the brain MRI and refer you first to a neurologist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure Gareth but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you