DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

Hi, my son is 10 years old, when he was 4 we realised according

Hi, my son is 10 years old, when he was 4 we realised according his ferritin level his Iron is low, we tried to sort it out with his diet, it didn't work, he had Iron tablets for 3 months and it was alright after that for a while, then the year after he had a blood test again same thing happened, Iron was low, since then every year when we was on holiday( in Iran) he had a blood test and ferritin was low, it was two years he had not blood test and now he has got his ferritin level 40, I am really worried it does keep happening, we also had Thalassemia Test done on him and it all came back normal, I would like to see why it keeps happening, can you please advise me what to do?
Many Thanks
Leila

Hello What was his exact iron level?

The ferritin is well within the normal range

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we had not have CBC blood test, but according his test it says:

Fe(Iron) 99

T.I.B.C 366

What is the lab range, this looks normal as well.
I am not sure what your concern is with normal tests.
And why would a CBC not have been done??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has not been done, because I thought we just needed the Ferritin and Iron level, my concern is his Ferritin level is low, normal but in lower rate, Is every county different with the ranges? because the Haematologist in Iran prescribed Iron tablets for 6 months

The ferritin level is not low.
Ferritin represents stores of iron.
Low normal is still normal.
Unless the iron was low, then he did not need iron.
The hematologist certainly did a CBC, as this is basic and routine. It would show if there were thalassemia signs....if he saw a hematologist that has been ruled out.
He probably gave iron pills simple to boost his stores of iron...which can be good in children.
That was probably diet related.
You can have a celiac panel checked to make sure he does not have gluten problems, which can interfere with absorption. But I don't think this will be the case.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How could I get the celiac panel checked please?

A simple blood test called celiac panel.
His doctor can simply order it.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.