Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I had a revision hip replacement a week ago? Wednesday afternoon,

I had a revision hip replacement a week ago? Wednesday afternoon, was discharged on Saturday afternoon. The leg from foot to top of thigh is very swollen. Did not notice swelling whilst in hospital, but noticed as soon as I got home. At first the swelling was from the knee up, but now whole leg swollen. I have previously had one revision ( other leg) and two total hip replacements.
No real pain, I am now down to one pain killer and a injection in the stomach, a blood thinner drug and two Senna tablets for constipation. Also take an Omerprasole capsule once a day. I have Diabetis 2 diet controlled. Feeling very well after the operation and making good progress with leg movement.
Looking for reassurance that there is not a major problem.
Kindest regards
Gerry Olohan
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

The swelling of the leg can be caused by the venous insufficiency.

Dr Basu :

Due to the lack of movement, the veins of the leg may not function well --the blod tends to stay longer causing leg swelling.

Dr Basu :

Another possibility can be a blood clot in the leg vein causing blockage to the blood return to the heart.

Dr Basu :

You are taking a blood thinner drug --still a blood clot is possible.

Dr Basu :

Lastly, if there is injury to the femoral blood vessels supplying the leg, that can also trigger significant swelling.

Dr Basu :

If you do not have any significant pain, then anything serious is unlikely.

Dr Basu :

Still given the rapid onset of swelling, you will need to contact your doctor for a clinical evaluation.

Dr Basu :

Usually the swelling will gradually improve with leg elevation and alo using compression stockings.

Dr Basu :

Follow a low salt diet.

Dr Basu :

A diuretic or water pill also can be used to remove excess fluid if there is no injury to blood vessel or blood clot.

Dr Basu :

Best wishes,

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Metabolic Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu : Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.
Dr Basu : The swelling of the leg can be caused by the venous insufficiency.
Dr Basu : Due to the lack of movement, the veins of the leg may not function well --the blod tends to stay longer causing leg swelling.
Dr Basu : Another possibility can be a blood clot in the leg vein causing blockage to the blood return to the heart.
Dr Basu : You are taking a blood thinner drug --still a blood clot is possible.
Dr Basu : Lastly, if there is injury to the femoral blood vessels supplying the leg, that can also trigger significant swelling.
Dr Basu : If you do not have any significant pain, then anything serious is unlikely.
Dr Basu : Still given the rapid onset of swelling, you will need to contact your doctor for a clinical evaluation.
Dr Basu : Usually the swelling will gradually improve with leg elevation and alo using compression stockings.
Dr Basu : Follow a low salt diet.
Dr Basu : A diuretic or water pill also can be used to remove excess fluid if there is no injury to blood vessel or blood clot.
Dr Basu : Best wishes,
Dr Basu : It was my pleasure to help you today.
This is the link to my profile: