Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Having discovered a lump under the on my right

Having discovered a lump under the nipple on my right breast while in the shower, I have had a mammagram done awaiting results. I have received a copy of a letter sent to my GP stating the surgeon on examination has found a lump 30mmx25mm hard lump at 6A position of R breast with skin tethering consistent with anaplastic growth L breast axillae and supraclavicular area felt normal awaiting ultrasound and core biopsy. Could you explain what this could mean is an anaplastic growth malignant and if so what would be the treatment? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

There are several pieces of information present in this report.

The report notes the lump that you discovered, that is close to the skin and tethered to the skin. Anaplasia, or an anaplastic growth, refers to a structural change in the tissue compared to what would be normal for that tissue. In the breast, it is most often seen with a cancer of the breast, but it is not exclusively cancerous.

The area in the armpits (axillae) and above the collar bone do not have any identified abnormality, so there is not evidence of any spread to these areas, which is a good sign.

So, the primary concern in this situation would be a cancer, and the ultrasound and biopsy will be able to clarify the specific nature of this lump.

If this is determined to be cancer and there continues to be no evidence of spread to the armpit or above the collar bone, then the cure rate is excellent, typically above 90%. So, even if this is cancer, it is not as horrible as other situations that can arise with cancer. Of course, any cancer is serious, but the chances of cure are very good.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.