Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my fingers have started to stiffen

my fingers have started to stiffen
Hi--can you tell me more about the problem and how long it's been going on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the joints seem to lock and it is painful it started today

OK Dennis and before today no problems at all with any joints? Any swelling or redness?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pins and needles no swelling or redness

And before today absolutely no joint problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sometimes, but this is longer

OK Dennis--just one more question--has a doctor looked into this problem?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no

OK Dennis--and we can continue after this if you'd like. Of course this could be the rather common cause--osteoarthritis--but in general that's a gradual thing that doesn't suddenly one day become much worse. More likely here would be rheumatoid arthritis and I suggest you get an autoimmune blood panel--antinuclear antibody titer, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, and C reactive protein--and x-rays of the hands to check for that. There are some very effective medications for that but for now you can try ibuprofen or naproxen for help.