Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hi I have a daughter 43 years old who has just been referred

Hi I have a daughter 43 years old who has just been referred to a neurologist but appointment won't be for4 weeks she has jerky movements for a while but has been in denial with it she said today her hands feel as if they are on fire. She hasn't got slurred speech infact she seems quite hypo active at times her thumb always flicks her hands doesn't stay still. She does drop a lot of things
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Does the jerking affect all muscle groups or only some (such as the hands)?
What is the pattern? Is this large sudden intermittent jerks? Or smaller frequent movements?
Does she have any chronic medical problems?
What, if any, chronic medicines is she taking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi its normally the thumb which flicks although she said her shoulder twitched yesterday her stomach seem to be doing a ripple action her walking is irregular and balance is not brilliant she has no medical problems about 7 years ago she she doesn't take any medication at all

She has occasions had headache with sickness

Thank you for the additional information.

It is difficult to assess an abnormal movement without being able to see it. If the movement is small frequent rhythmic movements, that would be consider a tremor and the evaluation would look for evidence of a primary movement disorder, such as Parkinson disease. True jerks involve larger muscle movements that are sudden and more pronounced, and would be more worrisome for damage that ha occurred to the brain or spinal cord or a metabolic condition affecting the nervous system.

It is also possible that the burning sensation in the hands and the weakness could be related to degenerative changes in the spine.

Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to determine the exact cause.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.