Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

If an person has no best friend is that a mental disorder?

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
No that is not a mental disorder
Many normal people don't have a best friend.
There can be a lot of reasons for that. For example, they tend to not form close relationships. That is normal though.
It could certainly be a part of a disorder but it is not a disorder in itself.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do you mean by close relationships?

many people tend not to get too involved with other people
They have acquaintances but not friends and prefer to be alone
this is normal
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I can appreciate that. It's reassuring, now we get to the real issue. Whether being insensitive, boring and socially inept is a mental disorder or just being insensitive, boring and socially inept?

that is not a mental disorder either
could just be socially awkward
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do you tell the difference? When does failure to interpret no-verbal cues or to recognise a joke is being made become something other than just socially awkward?

it becomes a disorder when it impairs your functioning in life.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So it's not a disorder unless I let it be?

there is some truth to that. However some people don't have that much control.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nice bit of weasel wording there. I interpret your answer as encouragement with some non-judgemental permission to fail worked in at the back. Is that a fair assessment?

No, what I was saying was that if you can stop it from affecting your live that is wonderful
however, many people don't have that ability. So in that case it becomes a disorder
it seems like you are capable of controlling it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So you think its probably a disorder but good luck to me?

I don't know.
how functioning are you?
Do you hold a job?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

Then generally you are high functioning
If you don't drink or use drugs and hold a job then it probably isn't a disorder
you are able to, through your own will, keep it at bay
That doesn't mean you don't have depression or another problem
however, it does mean that your behavior towards others is not a disorder
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your depression suggestion is a bit af a surprise to me. It's not where I was going. I was questioning my social interactions because I got a real shock today and I never saw it coming concerning my interactions with another member of staff who is off with stress. She's been off for 6 weeks and I disovered today she says it's my fault she's stressed. I don't recognise her version and I thought she was my friend, so maybe I am a bit depressed tonight, but yes I have a responsible professional job and no I don't drink, or do drugs. It'll look better in the morning.

I was simply using that as an example. Sometimes people can be socially inept when they are depressed
it doesn't sound like you are.
So this is not a mental condition but perhaps gives you insight into how your actions affect others.
Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're probably right. She's very good with people and social interactions, and poor with the written word. I thought we made a good team, complementary strengths. I don't think it's my fault she's stressed, but I probably haven't helped. I'd have expected her to tell me she had a problem but if she tried for subtlety, well with boring insensitive people you might need a sledgehammer to get through.

very true.
Well at least you are trying to better yourself and learn from your mistakes
Nothing else you can do
I appreciate the ok rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)