DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My son is a 16 year old soccer player playing for a professional

My son is a 16 year old soccer player playing for a professional football team. He is 5ft 7 inches tall and weighs 60 kg. He has been doing full-time training 5 days a week and playing a match 1 time a week since June. He has been experiencing tiredness and slow recovery in certain matches and has told me in the warm ups before the game he can tell if he's going to be sluggish. We have noticed afternoon games are when he struggles with energy but evenings he seems to have more energy. He's very quick and sweats alot when hes playing. We have done some checks on him this evening to see if anything could give us a clue.
Resting heart rate 53-58
Blood oxygen 99%
Blood surgar 6.3
Peak flow 450.
Blood pressure 128/79
Could it be diet
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.
I am not sure what your question is.
Exercise induced asthma can do this, and be hidden.
He needs to see a doctor for
spirometry
thyroid function tests
all routine labs to look particularly for anemia.
And any other testing based on exam findings.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response , do think the tests we have done are within normal range? His mum who is from Thailand is a little aneamic and does carry thalassemia trait gene. Could this be of any relevance?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I see those
yes
But they do not include a CBC for anemia.
or thyroid testing.
Or other routine labs.
A CBC would pick up thalasemia.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks again for your response, if he was anaemic would the symptoms be intermittent as some games hes fine and others he's sluggish?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
That is possible.
It looks to me like his peak flow is a little low, and the doctor might want to do full pulmonary function testing.
please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.