Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi There, My left temple feels constantly swollen/congested/squeezed

Hi There, My left temple feels constantly swollen/congested/squeezed it feels like its burning and exacerbates from alcohol, stress and can also affect the eye, causing it to water and a little blurry at times, despite lots of tests including MRI head scan ESR blood test i have yet to receive a firm diagnosis and treatment solution, its a nightmare to be honest, iburofen helps a little but not much any suggestions on how to sort this once and for all ?? or at least improve things Many thanks Mark
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Which specialist doctor have you seen so far?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Dr Uzair :

You seem to be offline at the moment. Please reply whenever you are online, I shall be happy to help with your query.

Customer:

Hi There, A couple of 'Headache specialists'

Dr Uzair :

Alright, is the headache sharp stabbing or dull aching?

Dr Uzair :

Or is it a throbbing headache?

Customer:

Its dull aching, that throbs when bad, its 24/7 Doctor

Dr Uzair :

Okay, how long have you been having these headaches for?

Customer:

for 6 years continually daily

Dr Uzair :

Alright, do you have any nausea or vomiting with the headache?

Customer:

No never

Dr Uzair :

Okay Mark, this does not seem to be an ordinary kind of headache nor does it follow the pattern of a Migraine. An ordinary headache specialist will not suffice for a diagnosis, it is best to seek help from a Rheumatologist to evaluate on the lines of Temporal arteritis being the working diagnosis.

Dr Uzair :

This will require a thorough evaluation and a temporal artery biopsy, if required. Treatment is with steroids.

Customer:

I did have a blood test 'ESR' which came back normal ?

Dr Uzair :

There is a criteria for diagnosis of Temporal arteritis.

Dr Uzair :

Out of these 5 criteria, 3 need to be fulfilled in order to diagnose the condition.

Dr Uzair :

Since, the MRI is also clear, that does not leave much room for other conditions apart from trigeminal neuralgia and temporal arteritis and atypical headache or glaucoma etc.

Dr Uzair :

But these need to be ruled out carefully and a thorough examination is warranted by a Specialist. A Rheumatologist will be a good start.

Customer:

Ok Doctor, I will persue this course, i do feel most comfortable when my body is cold so its a possibility

Dr Uzair :

Alright, best of luck and feel better soon.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.

Customer:

Most definately, Thank you Sir, best regards Mark

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure Mark, thanks.