DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my mum who is 86 spent 4 weeks in hospital with a perforated

Customer Question

my mum who is 86 spent 4 weeks in hospital with a perforated bowel.. she was very sick, vomiting, constipated before she went into hospital... now my mum is recovering after recieving treatment in a community hospital... she had fluid drained form her abdomin. all clear I might add.. but I have been told she needs a colonoscopy in 4 weeks time time as she was 2 weak to have it done while in hospital.. seems there is something else there they want 2 check out... surely the hospital would not have discharged her if there was someting else there that was worrying.. please help...
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Can you please tell me in detail that for how long she was having the above symptoms? Have they done CT scan in hospital? Have they treated her surgically or just medicines? Was she alright before the start of above symptoms or she had those symptoms off and on before this illness? Regards
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.

The colonoscopy is to follow up and make sure the bowel has healed. They are not looking for another problem, but to make sure that there is no additional perforation, infection, etc..... That is most likely.

Of course, to do a colonoscopy also rules out other possible problems, and gives her a clean slate; so for example, if she had diverticulosis, polyp, etc. they would spot these.

One of the issues might be: why the perforation.....

OK, so that is an initial answer…. Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.