Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Can I talk to A senior doctor

Customer Question

Can I talk to
A senior doctor
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. What's your question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i spoke to u before .

can a ct clearly identify a Liver met?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No it can't. It can show a lesion that looks a great deal like a malignant lesion but as I told you before only a biopsy of the lesion can firmly determine that it is malignant
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. If it was a met would the rafiologist have stated in the report metsases disease ? Or do they word it different?

also surely the mdt team would have an idea wat this is right ? In don't get y his onco just said we are not sure . What kind of an answer is that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand your frustration Hina but all the radiologist can do is describe the lesion and he might say it had the appearance of cancer or a metastatic lesion but again, without a biopsy no one can say definitely that the lesion is cancer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He's not

said cancer appearance or mets . He has mentioned a large lymph node 10 mm and this lesion .

In the impression section , he put:

appearances keeping with disease progression .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hina, you've asked this question in one way or another, of several of us experts and we've basically told you what we can. Can I ask what exactly is it you'd like to know that we haven't answered as yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Does what he has put " disease progression " mean metsases ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I can't really answer that with certainty and you need to ask the radiologist about the statement. He may be referring to the enlarged node and the lesion as most likely being an expansion of the cancer, and it probably is. But again the only way to be certain would be with a biopsy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there treatment for liver met?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Surgery to remove it if it is removable along with chemotherapy and radiation therapy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is prignosis like ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hard to say in his case without more information but the five year survival rate is about 40% of patients with that diagnosis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it better with 1

met? Also surgery can lead to cure right?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That can improve things and sometimes surgery can be curable but you really need to talk to his oncologist about this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could it be that the onco held back thsts y said we don't know what the lesion is yet?

could it be that he wAnted to hold bk till the pet ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes because as I told you the PET scan can better show whether the lesion looks cancerous
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But can this not be known from a ct with contrast?

also would liver me not have high cea?

My my dad's is 8 at present .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well his CEA is higher than normal but not as high as we usually see with active liver cancer. As I told you before it's standard practice to get a PET scan to better define a lesion in the liver seen on a regular ct scan. You really need to discuss this with his oncologist since I can't read his mind
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Sorry I'm really worried as you can probably tell.

The words his onco used were the lesion looks cloudy ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I understand Hina. Can't say much about the term cloudy except it doesn't sound like how a cyst would look.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do mets look cloudy ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Well, they are solid so they do look cloudy or pure white through and through
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He said lesion cloudy so we can't tell

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
There really isn't anything more I can tell you about this Hina. This has to be considered a metastatic lesion until proven otherwise with a biopsy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last question , is there a difference between if the radiologist writes disease progression in a ct report and metsases disease ?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I would think disease progression would have to mean metastatic disease Hina but I can't read the radiologist's mind. Let's close this page with a rating please