Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

Hello,I need some advice concerning my husband and one year

Hello,I need some advice concerning my husband and one year old daughter.Is it ok to lift a one year old up by their head? Last night my husband (whom is a doctor) got annoyed with our one year old crying and picked her up about two foot by her head in her cot.I was shocked and asked him to put her down and what was he thinking.he tells me that he knows better and has the right to do what he likes with his child.Can you firstly tell me if it is safe and acceptable for him to do this,as I am concerned about the safety of my girl.If it is not safe how do you advise I go about protecting my child.Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

welcome

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Lifting a child especially a one year old child by their head is not something that I would condone.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would recommend against lifting children up by their head. If a child is roughly lifted up by his/her head it can cause dislocation of a vertebra of the neck.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So it's not 100% safe

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please use the reply button and the textbox to respond.

Customer:

hello,yes i am with you.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Did you read my responses above?

Customer:

what should i do if i cant make him stop it?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You should request him to stop.

Customer:

and if it happens again?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If he does not stop then you can contact child protection.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The link

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The link gives details on how to contact and who to contact.

Customer:

so it is a valid reason to contact cps.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It may be a valid reason. I mean there is no harm in calling them and talking to them on the phone.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am not aware of their exact rules so can't but sure.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So the best thing is to call them and discuss this situation.

Customer:

thank you,i needed to hear that from another doctor apart from him.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Please do rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below.
Kindest Regards

Customer:

will a record of this be sent to my email so i can keep it for my records?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You can save this link and open it anytime

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It will forever remain safe on this website.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Anymore questions?

Customer:

thank you,i appreciate your help.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

You are most welcome
Wish you all the best.
Kindest Regards

Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine