Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am now receiving 40mg adalimumab administered at home weekly

I am now receiving 40mg adalimumab administered at home weekly for crohns disease. being aware that this is double the normal dosage but having received since 2008 at hammersmith hospital, with almost normal functions. my question is, I am considering retirement to Lincolnshire. my ibd nurse at hammersmith could not reassure me this level of medication will continue, even though the normal dosage of 40 mg once every two weeks pre 2008 resulted in admission/ct scans etc. Can Lincolnshire health authority reduce this. Thank in advance
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

I'm sorry that no expert has yet responded, but that is likely because it is impossible to predict what another doctor will decide, but I can help with a better understanding of the dosing recommendations.

Actually, the dosing recommendation for adalimumab in the UK and the US includes a statement that some people with Crohn's disease may need weekly dosing to achieve adequate control of the disease process. So, while it is true that every 2 week dosing is the standard dose, it is recognized that some people need weekly dosing, and you are not that unusual from that perspective.

However, it is also true that it is recommended that there should be periodic reassessments of the ongoing need for the drug, and that recommendation is true whether it is being dosed at the standard two week interval or at weekly intervals. So, it would be expected that a new doctor would perform that reassessment. Of course, each doctor will need to make that assessment using their clinical judgement, and it is impossible to predict the outcome of that assessment, but you do not need to be concerned that your dosing is outside of the dosing recommendations.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thankyou doctor for you general advice today. I do feel however that in the uk there maybe other factors that come into play when moving from one health authority to another within the nhs.i.e. budget restrictions. I appreciate however this is not a medical issue, and I will continue to seek answers from within the u.k. thanks again john defroand

You're welcome. The dosing recommendation comes from a UK national recommendation for the use of adalimumab in the treatment of Crohn's disease, and should supersede local policy on the use of the drug.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.