Dr. Natasha
Dr. Natasha, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine, Ivy League trained
16455829

Hi, Ive been having a strange sensation, not so much dizzy

Hi, I've been having a strange sensation, not so much dizzy but more like I'm on a boat. Had this since March on and off, although when it hits me now, I have to hold onto something or getting up and walking around seems to relieve it over time. I've had the sensation from a brief minute up to a couple of hours gradually getting worse, peaking and then dropping off. I have recently had full blood count and ECG. I have been referred to ENT for end of the month but I don't have any issues with my ears, nose or throat. I have intolerances that have recently returned to wheat and dairy. I did have a coelic test last week but don't have the results yet. I was diagnosed with labrynthitis back in May but then they decided it wasn't as they couldn't induce an onset of my symptoms. I'm just worried that my doctor isn't taking me seriously and would I be better to pay going privately for a thorough examination? Would the blood test rule out anything serious and should I just carry on managing the symptoms?
Expert:  Dr. Natasha replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Natasha :

hello

Dr. Natasha :

welcome to the chat

Dr. Natasha :

are you still there?

Dr. Natasha :

If so please type and say hello :-)

Dr. Natasha :

It sounds like you have an issue with your vestibular system- this does balance.

Dr. Natasha :

And one of the nerves which coordinates it, cranial nerve VIII also does hearing

Customer:

Dr. Natasha :

which is why you were referred to the ENT docot

Dr. Natasha :

*doctor

Dr. Natasha :

did you see what I wrote?

Dr. Natasha :

That being said, part of the issue can be in the cerebellum

Dr. Natasha :

and this is best assessed by a MRI

Customer:

Yes, an issue with the vestibular system?

Dr. Natasha :

yes, which is why you were referred to ENT

Dr. Natasha :

but this can also be a problem with the cerebellum

Dr. Natasha :

and if it is getting worse, I would ask for a MRI of the brain to rule that out

Customer:

Okay. This probably sounds odd to you but I also have to go to the toilet once this feeling kicks in, one time I had to visit the bathroom on four occasions within the space of 5 minutes each visit???

Dr. Natasha :

that is not that odd

Dr. Natasha :

a severe attack can make you feel vasovagal which can make you feel like you need to go to the toilet

Dr. Natasha :

but that is not a common symptom, which make me feel like you need a closer look

Dr. Natasha :

As well, if the MRI is normal, I think that you would feel SO much better (much less anxious)

Customer:

But I actually do something each time I go. Last Tuesday I had the dizzy spell when I got tothe village whilst out walking and then popped into the pub and ran twice to two fdifferent looks with a combination of diarrhoea and constipation, hot and cold sweats and stomach cramps. How would this all be linked

Dr. Natasha :

Right, so you get the dizzy spell, then you feel very terrible and you have to use the bathroom, correct?

Customer:

Yes

Dr. Natasha :

so, what is going on is the vertigo/dizzy spell is stimulating the vagus nerve- this is called vasovagal mediated response

Dr. Natasha :

this then causes your stomach to cramp, you to sweat and then you need to use the BR

Customer:

And the vagus nerve is where again?

Dr. Natasha :

from the brain

Dr. Natasha :

it is cranial nerve ten

Dr. Natasha :

lots of things can stimulate it

Dr. Natasha :

fear, temperature extremes

Customer:

Is it fairly normal then for this to upset in people?

Dr. Natasha :

yes, it can happen.

Dr. Natasha :

in fact here is an article for you:

Dr. Natasha :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

Dr. Natasha :

But, if it was ME, and I was having the symptoms of unsteadiness, I would want to get a MRI of the brain just to make sure that there wasn't anything else going on

Dr. Natasha :

there are two types of vertigo- central and peripheral. Peripheral is ear, central is brain

Customer:

He did have me lying on the couch making me move rapidly into upright position whilst holding my head at an angle but this didn't induce the sensation. Thank you. You've put my mind at rest. If only the doctor had explained a little more before then i wouldn't be wasting your time. I do appreciate your help.

Dr. Natasha :

you are welcome.

Dr. Natasha :

keep me posted. I will check in with you in a couple of weeks to see how you are doing

Dr. Natasha :

did i provide you with excellent service?

Customer:

You did thank you. How do I contact you to update you?

Dr. Natasha :

you can always reply here. but I will send you a note in 2 weeks

Customer: