Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I was drinkinh last night. This morning I am throwing up black

I was drinkinh last night. This morning I am throwing up black vomit and have been for several hours. I'm due to fly home later. My question is whether I really have to see a doctor. It's obviously due to the alcohol. Will it stop if I don't drink more alcohol?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 3 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

Welcome to justanswer

Dr.Amita :

You need to see a doctor as black vomit can indicate bleeding in stomach or upper intestine as result of alcohol induced ulcer or gastritis

Dr.Amita :

This can be serious and if left untreated can lead to potentially life threatening condition.Therefore it would be safe if you see a doctor as soon as possible.Stopping alcohol would not make much difference as damage has been done.Anyway you should not drink anymore as this may worsen the condition

Dr.Amita :

I know that this is not something you expected to hear but I have to tell you the true picture so that you do not put yourself in a dangerous position

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. What will a doctor do and how would they treat it? I'm trying to think if I ate something that would make the vomit look black. I had steak for dinner, doesn't steak digest slowly?

Dr.Amita :

First suspicion would be bleeding as you have a clear history of alcohol ingestion and that would need to be ruled out.Endoscopy would be needed to see if there is any active bleeding and if active bleeding is present that bleeding would be stopped.If no active bleeding is present medicines would be given to treat gastritis.

Customer:

Last question. I'm in england right now but flying back to germany later this afternoon. If I go see a doctor I'll likely miss my flight. Is this something that can wait until tomorrow when I'm home?

Dr.Amita :

It would be safer not to wait.You cannot say if any active bleeding is present without endoscopy and even if there is no active bleeding we cannot say for sure it would not recur.Therefore safest course of action would be seek medical care as soon as possible

Customer:

Ok. Thank you. I'll go now