Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I went to hospital yesterday with chest pain, palpatations

Customer Question

I went to hospital yesterday with chest pain, palpatations and back pain between shoulder blades and tingling and heaviness in left arm. I have recently come of antibiotics for 3 months as I was getting very uncomfortably bloated: I took Azithromycin every other day and cephalexin every day for on-going urinary tract infections. I had chest x-ray done (all clear), blood tests done (all clear), urine test - slight infection. Liver, kidney function all ok and heart monitored - ok. I had a sliding hiatal hernia diagnosed 3 years ago and I think this has flared up since being off anti-biotics, either that or my son jumped on my back a few weeks ago, he pushed me over and down with a force and it really hurt towards top of back. I don't know what to do? After eating food - approx 45mins later I get lots of palpatations, weakness in left arm and heaviness, pain and pressure in middle of chest and feel like something is stuck and pain/headaches (in back of head mainly). The hospital will write to my drs and have suggested that if medication does not work (lansoprazole (x2) daily) does not work I should wear a heart monitor for 24hrs and have endoscopy. I am very worried about this and as I write am experiencing same symptoms again, it worries and frightens me and I don't think I ought to wait for help, pls can you advise me asap, many thanks. I think I may be experiencing severe oesophagul spasms and pressure?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

I am sorry you are having these chest pains and palpitations.

Dr. David :

I am glad you went to the ER already.

Dr. David :

yes, I think you should see a GI doctor and get an upper endoscopy to check for esophageal wall spasms which could cause your symptoms.

Dr. David :

and also a holter monitor test and more testing of your heart by a cardiologist.

Dr. David :

also you could be having panic attacks or anxiety attacks as well which can cause chest pain, heart palpitations, back pain.

Dr. David :

do you have symptoms of excessive anxiety or panic?

Dr. David :

there are medications which can help with esophgael spasms if that is what is found.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
Dr. David :

This is Dr. David

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

I am glad you went to the ER already.

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

Dr. David :

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com