Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

five weeks ago I had an incisional hernia ,repair and a neuroma

Customer Question

five weeks ago I had an incisional hernia
,repair and a neuroma (small) removed from my 45 Year old lateral bikini line caesarian scar . I expected to recover very quickly as no one,told me any different.However its far far slower and I find that i can do very,little indeed and suddenly i feel really awful for no reason and have to go and,lie down. I am told in abdominal surgery that this is normal after and anaesthetic for over an hour and an op that was more complicated than originally thought. I do not know how to speed up my stamina and fitness and feel well again and get my,life back. they used both dissolvable and non dissolvable mesh for the repair o n the abdominal
wall and I wondered if the mesh was bad for me as I am allergic to so many drugs in the modern world.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can you tell me more about what you mean by feeling awful? Is it only fatigue and a lack of energy? Any other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Really tired and just not well.... no other medical conditions..... also fuzzy in my head when I concentrate hard on my music ... but I,put that down to the anaesthetic which was truly bad for me .....
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--have you had any blood tests recently like a CBC, thyroid function panel, cortisol levels, etc? How's your sleep?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not since hospital other than blood pressure which my GP said was on the low side. Sleep always terrible since being widowed three years ago so take one pill usually at. 2 am a bout but will give them up again when I am better.I only started them again because of this when I was in hospital. I am not addicted to them at all or to anything else.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK Depending on the complexity of the surgery and the anaesthetic used there can be a longer than normal recovery period and perhaps things will pick up in another month. That said, I would check you for anemia, low thyroid, low cortisol levels, and also do an EBV viral titer for chronic fatigue syndrome. It may also be a problem with an insufficient amount of sleep or with something like sleep apnea so I might consider a sleep study also. For now you should be getting a nutrient dense diet of fresh green and leafy veggies and fruits, nuts, coconut milk, tofu or tempeh, and no more than three servings per week of lean meats, fish and poultry. Exercise in moderation--even just a brisk walk for thirty minutes four times a week--would also be helpful. I don't think this is a reaction to the mesh, by the way
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you. The walking I have been doing every day for fifteen minutes twice a day. I will do the eating as well which is more or less what I eat anyway. I will see the GP and ask for a blood test particularly as I only have half a thyroid anyway! It was supposed to have taken max 30 minutes and was more complex than the Prof. thought and took an hour and the anaesthetic, despite telling the anaesthetist about my problems with anaesthetics, was truly awful . I t was two days before I could go to the loo without holding on to something or someone!! I will do what you say. CB.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
My pleasure but let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you CB