Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am Diabetic two weeks ago i was told i have artrightist in

Customer Question

I am Diabetic two weeks ago i was told i have artrightist in my knees what the cause? make walking very painful age 55 work at the hospital as a domestic any supplement i can take ? Thank you
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Although there are several different types of arthritis that can affect the knee, in the vast majority of people, it is due to degenerative arthritis, also called osteoarthritis. This is due to wear and tear within the joint that also can cause loss of the cartilage that covers the bones along the joint surface, and is seen more often in weight bearing joints, such as the knees.

Also, in the minority of people that have another form of arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis, the doctor will typically specify the type of arthritis. If the doctor uses the generic term of "arthritis", it is usually in reference to degenerative arthritis.

The most common supplements that are taken for degenerative arthritis are glucosamine and chondroitin. It also may help to take a supplement of omega-3 fatty acids, which appear to have an anti-inflammatory effect that is helpful for some people. Similarly, SAM-e may be helpful for some people.

Another home intervention is regular exercise, particularly exercises that improve range of motion of the joints. Although it is due to wear and tear, there are many studies that show that people that fail to get exercise do worse in the long run. If weight bearing exercises are difficult, then it may be better tolerated to do exercises that place less force on the knee, such as swimming or bicycling.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

do I have to pay monthly? I am having problem getting the things to buy because I am diabetic

JustAnswer offers various monthly subscription services or pay for each question methods. It is up to each customer to decide which method they prefer. Although the system labels your account as a subscriber, the experts cannot see the financial aspects of the system, but you can contact customer service by sending an e-mail to [email protected] and they can help you to assure that you have the service that you prefer.