Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.
17799485

is it normal to have one pupil slightly bigger than the other?

Customer Question

is it normal to have one pupil slightly bigger than the other? the difference is marginal and they both react to light at the same rate. I'm worried because I've been having headaches recently, I've seen my GP and he said that my headaches were likely due to sinus infection and the when he looked in my eyes there was no swelling behind them
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer,

This can be normal and known as physiologic anisocoria. Please read the below link to know more:

http://one.aao.org/bcscsnippetdetail.aspx?id=4c18b321-00ec-427b-af76-0b2b5548b920

So a difference in pupil diameters is less than 1.0 mm may be normal. Since your eyes are reacting briskly to light and also after being checked by your doctor I would not worry much about the slight difference.

Take care.