Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

My grandson appears to have trouble relating to adults. He

My grandson appears to have trouble relating to adults. He is 6 and hits out and gets very angry at others and himself, and yet he can be very considerate and collaborative in team games etc. I feel that he is chronically self conscious when in the company of adults and draws attention to himself by bad behaviour and then can't get out of the loop of self consciousness/bad behaviour. How to help him, is my question?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.
Thanks for this question
what have you tried?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Rewards, sanctions - everything in the lexicon, but maybe consistency is an issue. The problem is knowing what is behind this. His school often complain about him hitting other kids - we don't want to get a formal assessment unless that seems like the best way forward

Thanks for this reply
If he is hitting other children, then a formal assessment may be best
However, consistency is key with anything relating to children. If they see a weakness, they will exploit it.
If you have searched and can't find a reason behind it then a professional should get involved.
I appreciate the ok rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)