Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have had severe dhirohhea for over 3 weeks now I cant eat

I have had severe dhirohhea for over 3 weeks now I cant eat anything but need to go to the toilet even first thing in morning also in the morning or night my face is very red and hot I have been to the doctor and done a sample but came back normal, she told me to take 1 immodium a day but I have taken up to 6 a day making no difference, I don't have any pain in my stomach, what do you think this could be? It is really starting to get me down, thankyou
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

How many times you pass stool daily?

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any blood or mucus in stool?

Customer:

no blood and just like water I have tried changing diet to no avail and even need to go if I haven't eaten I try not to eat after 5 at night but still back and fore to toilet up til 10 or 11 at night

Dr. Hasan :

every time you pass stool, is it like water?

Dr. Hasan :

I mean the consistency is like water or its semi solid?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Hasan :

Has your doctor checked for parasitic infections?

Customer:

tiny bit solid but not much its more water

Dr. Hasan :

What sort of tests he has done so far?

Dr. Hasan :

waiting for your reply.

Customer:

tiny wee bits but mostly water

Dr. Hasan :

ok

Dr. Hasan :

Have you tried anything except immodium?

Dr. Hasan :

Have you seen your GP only?

Dr. Hasan :

Are you with me?

Customer:

yes sorry no have just tried immodium and im not sure what they checked for they only said tests came back normal, yes just my gp

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Dr. Hasan :

There are many possibilities.

Dr. Hasan :

It can be a parasitic infection, can be inflammatory bowel disease or can be irritable bowel syndrome.

Dr. Hasan :

The facial flushing is not likely to be related to this diarrhoea but further investigations can find a link between the two.

Dr. Hasan :

immodium is just a way to stop the diarrhoea and it doesn't treat the cause.

Dr. Hasan :

So I really don't recommend it.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you should take more fibre diet and should take over the counter pepto bismol twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

This is just for symptomatic help.

Dr. Hasan :

But you must visit your GP and ask for a referral to gastroenterologist.

Dr. Hasan :

GP should make sure that he has done your stool R/E, Stool culture and stool for ova cysts and parasites

Dr. Hasan :

He should check you for celiac disease as well (through a blood test).

Dr. Hasan :

So a visit to gastroenterologist is advised and immodium is not a solution to your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

Till them my suggestions will help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer:

ok thankyou very much you have been a great help, so could I take the pepto bismol until I can get apt with gp, can I but it in chemist over the counter?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you can take it. It is over the counter. It may help you but remember that you need a further work up as advised above and don't get stressed, you will be fine.

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer:

ok thankyou you have been a great help I will try the pepto bismol until I can get an aptt

Dr. Hasan :

Good luck and thank you for the appreciation. Regards

Dr. Hasan :

You can rate the answer in the rating menu given on this page.

Dr. Hasan :

If you find any difficulty, please let me know :)

Customer:

also just one more thing how do you get a parasitic infection?

Dr. Hasan :

You can get it through many routes like badly cooked food, through fecal route, through water etc.

Customer:

ok thankyou so much you have been a great help I will follow your advice, thanks again

Dr. Hasan :

:)