Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

can an ototis externa infection (pseudomonas aeroginosa) cause

can an ototis externa infection (pseudomonas aeroginosa) cause ptosis
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am happy to wait

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

I would not expert a pseudomonas aeroginosa otitis externa infection would cause 2 short episodes of ptosis.

short episodes of ptosis are not that worrisome and can come from muscle fatigue

prolonged ptosis like from Bell's palsy tend to be from viral infections of the facial nerves and will get better with time as the body fights off the viral infection.

I hope your otitis external infection gets better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am an ENT surgeon and can assist you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. Ptosis can't occur after otitis externa. Specially in your case as you had short episodes, we can't attribute it to otitis externa. Let me guide you in detail. If otitis externa spreads outside ear canal, it involves 7th nerve first and then in order of frequency it can involve 9th, 10th, 11 and 12th cranial nerves. So if you have not had all these nerves involve, otitis externa can't be the cause of your ptosis because the nerves get involved in the way I have described. Theoretically even if we suppose that this can be the cause, even then one must have symptoms like severe earache, facial swelling, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12 th nerve palsies and after that any other nerve gets involved and above all the nerve lesions either doesn't resolve or resolve very slowly. So be 100% sure that your otitis externa was not the cause of your ptosis. This is answer to your original query, I hope this helps you. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me (on this specific answer) when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards