Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

I have unilateral Ménières disease (right) , I have been prescribed

Customer Question

I have unilateral Ménière's disease (right) , I have been prescribed arlevert and take it when i start having vertigo attacks, my attacks are not as bad as they were 2 years ago and only last 5-10 minutes , my question is , is it safe to take arlevert over a long period? I only take one a day and increase when things are bad. There are periods when I don't need to take it.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 3 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

There are some side effects over long term that have been reported, but overall it is considered safe to use.

Dr. Charogat :

Dr. Charogat :

For some reason we had gotten cut off and I was unable to respond to you.

Dr. Charogat :

Can we continue this chat? I'd like to give you good service and I am in touch with the customer service department at JustAnswer.com about this issue.

Dr. Charogat :

Right now JustAnswer has a certain amount of time that it allows us to chat before cutting us off from each other. I'm trying to find out more about this but just want to let you know that it is telling me that we have only 8 minutes left before we get cut off again.

Customer: I already knew the information above, as my condition is unlikely to improve, I was looking for a bit more information or perhaps some help to cope with the recurring attacks or what in your opinion would or could be better, also what could be the long term side effects?
Dr. Charogat :

Sure. I'll be happy to try and help.

Dr. Charogat :

I am just doing a quick investigation if there are any new treatments that have come up in the last year or so. If we get locked out again then I will call customer service and ask them to reconnect us.

Dr. Charogat :

I haven't found anything new in the last year.

Dr. Charogat :

Have you investigated trying any other medications or drug classes?

Dr. Charogat :

There still is unfortunately no cure, and we still treat the symptoms.

Dr. Charogat :

have you investigated any other medication classes?

Dr. Charogat :

I see that you are located in the UK. In Europe overall the first line of therapy for Meniere's disease (I'm assuming you've already been tested for anything that might have made it Meniere's syndrome - ie attributable to other medical causes) is antihistamines.
There are many other classes of drugs that are often used to control the symptoms of MD.

These include medications that work on various systems in the body.

Some medications suppress the information you get from your vestibular system, an example would be a drug such as diazepam. This class of drugs acts by dulling the messages from the inner ear to the brain.

Another class of medications are diuretics. An example of this would be hydrochlorothiazide. These medications are good to use to prevent symptoms, but are not very helpful once the symptoms have started. It is important to note that one class of diuretics, called loop diuretics, can have a toxic effect on the ears so care must be taken when using them. These medications work because they decrease the pressure of the fluid that is in the middle ear.

Another class of drugs is Steroids. An example of this would be prednisone. These medications are anti-inflamatory, and it is thought that they help in a similar way to the diuretics, by decreasing the amount of pressure from the fluid in the ear. The route of dosing is controversial.

Dr. Charogat :

The last class of drugs are called Aminoglycosides. These are a class of antibiotics and are only used in very end stage Meniere's disease because of the adverse affect they can have.

Dr. Charogat :

Based on what you have written to me above it seems that it would be worthwhile for you to discuss a switch to diuretics with your dotor.

Dr. Charogat :

We also should discuss if you are on any other medications, and if so which ones. If you are already taking a diuretic - as is common for high blood pressure - then you can discuss it's efficacy with your doctor.

Dr. Charogat :

I also want to clarify about the diuretics that hydrochlorothiazide (often abbreviated as HCTZ) is not a "loop diuretic"

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help you and answer your question or is there something else you are looking for.

Dr. Charogat :

Another important thing to note is that you have stated that at the present time you are not experiencing symptoms daily. If you have an increase of symptoms to the point that they severely affect your daily living then there are other more invasive options. These are only for the most severe cases of MD.

Dr. Charogat :

I see you've logged off. I will be leaving my computer and return tomorrow morning to see if there is anything further you had questions about or if you want to continue this discussion.