DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have multiple myeloma. I am a career person and I have worked

I have multiple myeloma. I am a career person and I have worked through it. My job has been really awful lately and i would love to move on but i am scare because i will lose my life assurance and benefits and have no cushion. I am a true prrofessional and i work very hard, but the company i work for is very disorganised and staff are leaving in their droves - i cannot leave and i work hard every day. In other circumstances i would have moved on but i was diagnosed when my son was 8 and i am scared of leaving him with nothing - he is 15 now and i am his mum
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear this
But I don't understand what your medical question is
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, I misunderstood. I just wanted to know how easy it was to get another job when you have cancer.

I was diagnosed in 2007. I appreciate I have been very lucky - my myeloma is indolent. My employers were great and I was promoted several times despite my illness. However, I moved locations and a lady I worked for took an instant dislike to me (first time in my working life - so also unfortunate) and it has been hell - but I have held on because I do not want to lose my benefits. I am kind of at the end of my tether - and I just do not know what to do.

I have been working for 30 years and I have always treated my staff with the utmost respect - life it too short - however I just cannot take any more shxt and I desperately want to move on - but just cannot because I will lose my life assurance, pension and phi - it is tough. I have tried so hard to get on with it but it has been 3 years since I moved and I just cannot take it any more.

My family do not know I have cancer - except my husband as we did not want to tell them until I needed treatment (not yet - so that is good) and we wanted my son to have as long as he could with a normal life. My husband and I separated because our relationship changed - when I was first diagnosed - the dynamics changed - he is a sweetheart but it affected us both badly because we did so much together e.g 5 marathons for cancer, loads of cycling, travel - hiking etc - we are still best friends but he is retired now - and if I did not work our son would be affected.

I just do not know what to do.

You are right it is not a medical problem - my oncologist is brill - I just needed to vent this.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
How long till you get your pension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am 52 years old. Don't worry - you probably cannot answer, I just needed to get it out.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
And when is your pension due?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

65 - a long time away. But, I have kept it up as I have state and personal pension and it benefits my son and husband, and the work one is very good - so it will be amazing for them. So, that is really the dilemna for me - I don't want to leave and them lose out.

I am one of these people who if I am not happy moves on - and am ok with that - I have moved on in my life when I was not learning any more - generally not dissatisfied - just needed to grow. But, now I do not have the luxury of moving on, and so, I have tried very hard to swallow and get on with it. But, recently it is just so bad (lots of people are leaving) that I just want to move - but every day I get up and try again, because I have to.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Alright
my advice is that I think this is a legal question.
I would have a one time visit with a legal expert...see what your options are...
One think is that I don't think they can dismiss you from your job very easily....
However, what happens with a pension, and other factors, is something for investigation.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your time.

I think you are right it is a legal question and they cannot let me go easily. Sad to think they want to - I am pretty good at what I do. However, things move on and maybe I just do not fit anymore.

I will see someone legally to find out where I stand.

Thankyou

HeatherS

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
Anytime
Any questions