Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

Good Afternoon, I cannot turn my neck to the right 100%

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I cannot turn my neck to the right 100% and was told initially that I had muscle spasm. I had 12 sessions of Physiotheraphy which left me the same way. I was to a Pain Management Specialist to have a procedure called a PRF carried out which gave me relief for a no more than two days. This procedure was carried out a second time 8 weeks later but I can assure you that the problem still exists. I have pins and needles down my arm and into my fingers and really bad pain. My neck aches and now my GP wants to send me to see a Neurologist.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David

PRF is pulsed radiofrequency therapy.

you should see a neurologist and you definitely need to get a neck cervical spine MRI scan with contrast to see if you have a herniated disk and pinched nerves coming from your cervical or neck spine.

herniated disks or pinched nerves in the neck can cause muscle neck spasms and pain and difficulty turning your neck to one direction.

if you have a herniated disk, you might need a steroid injection at the site of disk herniation to decrease swelling and pain and get the disk back into place.

you might also benefit from seeing a physical therapist to do neck stretching exercises.

accupuncture therapy could help as well.

but I would get the neck spine MRI scan first to see the bone and nerve alignment.

have you had a neck MRI scan before?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I've had an MRI scan and the results are as you say; a H/Disc . Should the PRF treatment have sorted this problem out??

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
no, pulsed radiofrequency therapy is not enough for a herniated disk

you need to take anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium or possibly a course of oral steroids

if that doesn't work, a steroid injection into and around the herniated disk can help

physical therapy and exercise and stretching exercises for your neck under the care of a physical therapy doctor can help

surgery is the last option to fix a herniated disk.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Why would they have given me this treatment or would thus have been given to treat nerve damage

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
pulsed radiofrequency therapy is used in physical therapy to help relax tight muscles

but it is not a good long term fix for a herniated disk
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much Dr David for your expertise in this matter. I'll proceed with a visit to a Neurologist . At what point would surgery be considered?

Thank you and kind regards.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
surgery is always a last resort for herniated disks.

everythign else needs to be tried before surgery is done.