Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

Hi - I was windsurfing at the end of July and collided with

Hi - I was windsurfing at the end of July and collided with the mast. i was limping for a few days (dead leg), it then eased up. There was never any visible bruising. Recently I have noticed a swelling where I impacted the mast. Should I be worried/see a doctor, or can I combine massage with heart treatment to try and shift it? Thanks in advance, Tim
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Do you have any pain in the area? and which area specifically are you talking about? Thigh, lower leg?

Dr Uzair :

Please enter chat and use reply to respond.

Customer:

hi - no pain. Although I was nearly sick with pain when I did it! Context - my thigh hit the mast in around 40 knots of wind, so it was a major impact. in board shorts so no padding. It's my right thigh on the ITB band.

Dr Uzair :

You should have this evaluated by a physician, such lumps are usually organized hematomas in or under the muscles and do not go away on their own. They can remain hidden under the bulk of the muscles or thigh fat and when they become hard and organized they are felt. The time period coincides with the appearance of an organized hematoma.

Dr Uzair :

I would suggest that you have this evaluated and an ultrasound to start with and then an MRI of the thigh.

Customer:

thank you for your feedback, I was a little worried that you might say that! Presumably we are talking surgery ultimately?

Dr Uzair :

That depends on the hematoma and its nature. If the hematoma is not solid then it can be aspirated by multiple passes of a canula under local anesthesia but yes, ultimately surgical intervention of some sort is required.

Customer:

damn!! Thank you for your input.