Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hi Can you give guidance? Im very confused. I am 46 year

Can you give guidance?
I'm very confused.
I am 46 year old female have persistent bleeding for four months now and constant bladder pressure(though no incontinence TG just discomfort) and can't jog / walk far so gaining weight and consequently bit miserable. Husbands is too!
Got ultrasound have fibroids one large equivalent to 14-16 weeks gestation I'm told.
Getting MRI next week to see if suitable candidate for emboli station (not too keen on this option)
Myomectomy
Hysterectomy
Are my options I'm told but I read about another one High Intensity Focused Ultrasound - HIFU?
Can you advise ? I'd prefer to just get the fibroids out and keep the rest of my bits to let nature take its course?
Thank you in advance
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Dr Basu :

Hi there, This is Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist. I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

Dr Basu :

HIFU uses multiple ultrasound energy beams to destruct the fibroid tissue thermally or by heat.

Dr Basu :

The size of the fibroid needs to be less than 10 cm and also there should not be any calcification.

Dr Basu :

Also the lcoation of fibroid is important so that no bowel or bladder come inside the filed of ultrasound beam.

Dr Basu :

this is a most recent non invasive technique.

Dr Basu :

if you are a candidate ( decided after MRI), then you will recover fast without any significant complications.

Customer: It is proving difficult to find someone to do this on Ireland they do for prostate cancer biut not uterine fibroids is it very new?
Dr Basu :

yes it is very new procedur for fibroid.

Dr Basu :

so experience is limited.

Dr Basu :

only highly trained interventional radiologists will do it.

Dr Basu :

This is actually known as Magnetic resonance guided focused ultrasound surgery (MRgFUS).

Customer: Because it's difficult to find that experienced person would myoectomy be my next best option do u think?
Dr Basu :

yes myomectomy is your next best option.

Dr Basu :

Can be done by robotic assisted technology also known as Da Vinci procedure.

Dr Basu :

has less blood loss and faster recovery time.

Dr Basu :

more expensive also

Dr Basu :

Any further question?

Dr Basu :

It was my pleasure to help you today.
I am Dr Basu experienced in Gynecological Diseases.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the smiley faces) under this chat box only.
Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: Can your answer be emailed to me?
Customer: finally is it an option to just leave it as is and not do anything at all or will it just keep getting better?
Customer: Is it an option to not do anything at all just live with it? Or will it keep growing?
Dr Basu :

probably not

Dr Basu :

if you are getting pain and bleeding, and desire to become pregnant, it is better to remove it.

Dr Basu :

Yes the answer will be emailed to you after you finish the rating.

Dr Basu :

The firoid grows under estrogen influence.

Dr Basu :

so it only shrinks when you go into menopause.

Customer: We can't get pregnant no more family to come so that wouldn't be a factor will it keep growing
Dr Basu :

usually not since you already reached 46.

Customer: Sorry only see your response now
Customer: thanks
Dr Basu :

if no significant pain or bleeding, you can try to wait and watch

Dr Basu :

very welcome