Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I'm a 38 year old woman who has suffered with back pain and

I'm a 38 year old woman who has suffered with back pain and joint / muscle pain (knees, hips, neck) at regular intervals since my teenage years. From my mid 20s I started suffering with lower back pain, with regular episodes of severe muscle spasms which would last 2 - 5 days. I had a baby when I was 35. During pregnancy, I had 2 episodes of severe back pain at 3 and 4 months, which felt like something had come out of place and left me in too much pain to walk. This resolved after 4 months and the only pain I had was at night in my lower back on the left and in both hips. My son is now 3 years old and I am still suffering from daily back pain in a very specific point in my lower left back. I am told the point of pain is over my Sacroiliac joint. I experience pain and stiffness in the night which wakes me up and also severe stiffness and pain for several hours in the morning every day, which sometimes lasts all day. I also get regular episodes of pain in my knee joints and also in my wrists and through my thumbs. I have also had episodes of Achilles Tendonitis and Plantar Fasciitis. My mother suffers from Sjoegrens Syndrome and is suspected to also have Lupus. I have had MRI scans, Xrays, blood tests etc but all have come up showing nothing. My GP feels they have done all they can, but I am still in a lot of pain on a daily basis and don't know where to turn. I am a little bit overweight, (BMI of 26.5), but I am working on this. I take regular exercise, walking, gardening etc. Any ideas?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

The most common cause of the symptoms that you describe would be degenerative disease, but your GP and the Rheumatologist would certainly have considered this possibility. Another consideration in this situation that can cause pain in various locations throughout the musculoskeletal system and have completely normal blood and imaging tests is fibromyalgia.

The Rheumatologist would be the usual specialist to see for an evaluation to assess these symptoms, but since the evaluation by the Rheumatologist did not clarify the cause oft he symptoms, it would be appropriate to seek a different perspective. The specialist that I would typically recommend next would be a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) specialist, also called a Physiatrist.

So, the next step that I would usually recommend in this situation would be consultation with a PM&R specialist.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.