Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My partner sleeps most of the day, he doesn't get up until

My partner sleeps most of the day, he doesn't get up until late, after he has had something to eat he goes back to bed for another three or four hours. Then around teatime he will dissappear again for an hour or two. I am getting worried there is something is wrong health wise. He has been on anti depression tablets for a number of years. Can you suggest what might be wrong
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Which anti depressant is he on?

Customer:

not sure without checking and at the moment he is in the room with me

Dr Uzair :

Okay, has he lost any weight recently or has there been a change in his eating habits or loss of appetite?

Customer:

No, he hasn't a big appetite any way. We have only been together 5 months, he has said that he is eating better since he has been with me. He has put on some weight since living with me

Dr Uzair :

Alright, does he sleep at night?

Customer:

Yes he sleeps all nbight unless he has to use the bathroom

Dr Uzair :

Alright, does he suffer from any other conditions apart from the depression?

Customer:

He feels the cold in his feet all the time, even thogh his body is warm

Customer:

He has a habit of twitching his hands

Dr Uzair :

Alcohol intake?

Customer:

A few glasses of wine a week. He also feels weak and faint if he doesn't eat regular

Dr Uzair :

There are a few things to rule out here and this will require him to see his physician.

Dr Uzair :

Sleeping more than 6 to 8 hours at his age is not normal.

Dr Uzair :

The first thing that comes to mind is his depression that could have been worsening. Depression can cause excessive day time napping.

Dr Uzair :

Other than that - sleep apnea should be ruled out and a basic set of baseline tests should be done to rule out organic disorders and testosterone levels should be done to rule out low testosterone - another cause of excessive sleep in his age group.

Customer:

So what should i do to get him to see his gp, would i be able to speak to his gp first and maybe his gp could call him in for a checkup. He also suffers with erectile disfunction, which he says happened a few years ago.

Dr Uzair :

Erectile dysfunction points towards testosterone insufficiency.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, you can talk to his GP about this.

Customer:

So you think there is a problem, i am at my wits end not knowing how to deal with it.

Dr Uzair :

Worsening depression, low testosterone, diabetes, obstructive sleep apnea are some of the conditions that should be ruled out on the check up.

Dr Uzair :

Yes, there is a problem with his sleep pattern and this should be evaluated in person by his GP.

Dr Uzair :

The best course of action will be to talk to his GP and ask him to call in a visit.

Dr Uzair :

You should also talk to your partner about it, direct conversation is always better,

Customer:

Thank you for your advice, i will see his gp next week, because i have tried talking to him directly and he doesn't see anything is wrong. obviously there is and it needs to be sorted.