Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

A colleague of mine has had many tests lately for feeling faint,

A colleague of mine has had many tests lately for feeling faint, generally unwell, and not stable on his feet on occasion, and most recently had symptoms that similar to a stroke, when his whole arm went numb down one side and hospitalised for a week. He has been checked for high blood pressure, his heart, MRI & CT Scans and everything coming back clear. He is very stressed as nobody can identify the problem but he knows that there is an issue. I was wondering if you could suggest a route he could investigate?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. How old is he and does he have any other medical conditions? Were the scans just of his brain? Do you happen to know what blood tests he's had and whether his doctors have any diagnosis or diagnoses they're considering?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, sorry I don't have too much detail. Only the fact that I recommended he went on-line and explore via this type of service. He is late 30's and based on conversation I had with him yesterday there are no avenues being explored, symptoms are a mystery based on the tests he has had. I know a bit vague, but personally I've always thought he looked like he was a bit redder than normal, someone who had high blood pressure, but apparently this has been confirmed clear. I just want to help him and give him some other options to explore with his GP.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.

OK Elaine, and not your fault at all but all I can'do is give you my thoughts here and we can continue after this if you'd like. I would be willing to bet that his doctors have considered anxiety and/or depression but those are diagnoses only to be made when everything else is ruled out. He needs a full cardiac evaluation if that hasn't been done, and that would include an echocardiogram, stress test, and a Holter monitor--a 24/7 ECG--to make sure this isn't a cardiac problem as with an arrhythmia or impaired coronary circulation. He needs a thyroid function panel to rule out low thyroid and a cortisol level to rule out adrenal insufficiency. He needs a total serum and ionized calcium check and parathyroid hormone check for calcium level problems. I would also do an autoimmune screen to check for lupus and other autoimmune disorders. Finally, if he hasn't had an MRI of his entire spine, he needs that to look for disk problems and spinal cord compression. I wish I didn't have to paint this out in such broad strokes for you but given only his symptoms and not know what his workup has included thusfar, that's all I can do

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I know difficult with limited information, but my objective is to give him some paths to follow-up on. I often feel that the exploration of symptoms is too narrow, yes test for common first, but when that doesn't ring any bells, it's a bit of finger in the air approach. GP's are pretty much a jack of all trades, and a master of none. So understand not experts in identifying all ailments, but we are so reliant on their advice and recommendation on what consultant to meet next. I have had this very experience with someone close to me and I resolved the issue via this website and recommendation on where to go next, as spent 7 months going back and forward. Anyhow, not sure whether I pay now, or wait until I speak to my friend and ask more details?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
This page will stay open even if you rate my answer now Elaine so I would appreciate your doing so and I'll be here for any other questions your friend might have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just so I am clear, if I rate this response does that mean that the consultation fee is paid? I wasn't sure if by providing my bank details the fee was automatically taken, or only when consultation complete?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's just a deposit you made. I don't get compensated until you rate my answer but as I said that won't close his page and I'll be more than happy to continue after that at no further charge to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I will speak to my colleague and see whether I've missed anything specific, which may allow you to refine your recommendation(s). It could be something very simple that I've missed, so let me check. In the meantime, I'm happy with my response on the basis this query is on-going in terms of advice/next steps.