Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

hi,my mum is 59 years old.she has diabetes. in january her

hi,my mum is 59 years old.she has diabetes. in january her right shoulder started to get sore.done x-ray,doctor said everything is fine and she probably has frozen shoulder.pain is terrible now,she cant move her shoulder.pain is comming to other shoulder now as well.her all right hand is sore now and her fingers start to swell. she feels tingling in all her right side,including legs and chest. her both legs started to swell in the past month. she cant sleep at night and is afraid now to go bed. she thinks that she will not be long in here with us... told her that we need to go hospital,but she is afraid that doctor tell her that there is nothing wrong with her and she will feel imbarased ... what would i do? should i take her to hospital? thanks
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
I'm sorry that your mother is having problems.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Is she having any particular symptoms that are interfering with sleeping?
For example, is she having shortness of breath when lying down?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no there is no shortness of breath. pain is very bad when she is lying down.she feels like there is pins and needles in her chest when lying down.

Thank you for the additional information.

She does need to be seen, but it is not necessary that she be seen urgently at the hospital.

There are several possibilities to consider in this situation. The shoulder pain is most likely due to degenerative changes, either within the shoulder, itself, or within the spine causing pain that is referred to the shoulder. This also could be the cause of pins and needles sensation by placing pressure on the nerves.

The swelling could also be due to a variety of conditions. If there were any shortness of breath associated with the swelling, that would be more concerning for having heart dysfunction and would be a reason to be seen urgently. However, since she is not having any shortness of breath, it would be more typical for either a metabolic problem, such as liver, kidney, or thyroid dysfunction, or from poor venous function in the legs. It is important that she be seen for a proper evaluation, but it is not as important that it be done urgently, so it would be OK for her to be seen by her regular doctor.

Until she can be seen, it may help to use an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, which may help ease the pain directly and also may ease other symptoms by relieving pressure on the nerves, if present.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.