Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My wife was given pradaxa in hospitalfor ten days . She wasallowed

My wife was given pradaxa in hospitalfor ten days . She wasallowed home. After i read the leaflet on pradaxa I STOPPED giving her the tablets .my dr rang my wife and told her she must keep on taking the drug. Edith had a brain bleed from her nose ,then she began to bleed from her vagina ,. Alarge wheal 10 by 6 came on her right leg thecarersrang her dr. but he would not come,On the2nd of August at 4 am,I went into her room and hermouth was all bloody, Icant see Ron she said. Icalled for an ambullance who found she had no pulse. She died at 11am. .Should Edith have been given Pradaxa ? she was 80. could she have been saved if she had stayed in hospital.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Welcome!!

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I am really sorry to know about your wife.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Why was she given pradaxa in the first place?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Was it because of a clot in the leg or some other indication?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Please let me know.

Customer:

she went into hop. with r leg lyphodema she got mneumonia and c diff, and got af.had she stayed at home she would be here today.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So it was because of AF that she was put on pradaxa?

Customer:

yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I understand that it was a very difficult situation that your wife was going through. Having a swollen right leg with pneumonia and C. difficile infection and also AF. More than one systems were involved i.e. the lungs were affected by pneumonia, the heart by AF, and the swollen leg as well.
I understand your frustration and I am with you on this. I think that her doctors should have taken better care of her.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that she should have been observed more carefully.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Starting pradaxa was medically a correct decision because she was having AF and because AF could have caused a stroke by itself so it was important to keep the blood thin which was the logic but it was unfortunate that she bled massively.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

But the most important thing here is that she was not being looked after with enough care.

Customer:

could she have been saved in hospital

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I think she could have been saved.

Customer:

should her dr have attendedher

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I think that she should have been closely followed up and I would not have sent her home so early.

Customer:

what treatment could she have recieved

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I think that she should have been in the hospital and as soon as she started bleeding she should have been given recombinant factor VIIa, three-factor and four-factor prothrombin complex concentrate, or activated prothrombin complex concentrate.

Customer:

had my dr attended would she have been sent back to hospital

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would have definitely admitted her back to the hospital urgently.

Customer:

should Iasthe main carer have been given more info on the dangers of pradaxa

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Yes I think that the main carer should have been given more information about the dangers of praxada surely.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you with me?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Are you there?

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As i was looking after my wife I feel it was my responsibility to have called for an ambullance far sooner. I was devastated by her death.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
I understand that you are very much stressed and aggrieved by her loss.
I personally think that you should contact a professional i.e. a psychiatrist to help you cope with with a loss of this magnitude.
I do not think that you will be able to cope with this alone.
You certainly do require professional help.
Kindest Regards