DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

my son aged 21 has been unwell past few days. he said he

my son aged 21 has been unwell past few days. he said he feels that he had a seizure last Wednesday evening while lying on his bed. was very weak later that evening and very nauseus .. dizzy .. sore head and feeling extremely unwell following morning. He was admitted to hospital (never attended there before as in working away from home). they said he was dehydrated and put him on IV fluids. said he was suffering from exhaustion and low blood pressure and needed to stop working so hard. They totally ignored the fact that he said he thought he had a seizure and his head was hurting. He has past history of .. febrile convulsions when 4 years of age and then mild convulsions without temperature but grew out of it. He was then diagnosed at 13 years of age with a cyst on the side of his brain. This cyst did not seem to be causing a problem so it was decided to keep it monitored. We had a scan done again 5 months ago and the cyst is still there but has not changed. I thought that the hospital should have listened to him .. he was discharged yesterday morning. his partner said that twice yesterday he almost fell in on top of her and we went to pick him up and brought him home to rest. His head is hurting .. pressure pain on top of head and back of head he is complaining of a sensation that he is getting hard to describe .. something does not feel right. Should I be getting him to our local hospital or what do I do?? thank you, Pauline

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.
Hello Pauline,
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Your question has been in the Neurology category and has not been addressed, so the moderator has asked for other assistance.

Do you still need help?
I had asked whether you still need help and have not heard back, so I wanted to make a short comment and we can discuss further if desired.

From your description, it does appear that he should be seen. If he is acutely ill, it would be appropriate to be seen at a hospital, but it actually may be most effective for him to be seen by a doctor that is familiar with his history. Therefore, it would be appropriate to contact the doctor that has been following him to arrange for an appointment as soon as can be done.

Please let me know whether any further assistance would be helpful.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Quality of answer.. I wanted an opinion on the details I supplied. Answer also came too late... I expected an answer online at least within a few hours not the following day ... still no expert answer.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
This is a different expert who has seen your relist.
We have no control over how soon questions are presented to us.
For example, I have just been presented with this one, and I am answering immediately.
What questions remain for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand that you have just seen the question yourself but I was unhappy with the service provided which had been paid for and I felt that as it was online .. I would receive an opinion quickly as it was urgent.. thank you for coming back to me quickly. My son was admitted to hospital the same day that i had posted my question and is now awaiting an appointment to be seen by a neurologist later this month.

My question remains .. with the symptoms that he was experiencing and on sometimes a daily basis he loses his balance and thinks he is going to fall .. is it possible that he has epilepsy or do you think that the cyst may be causing his problems .. even though the MRI brain scan says there is no significant difference in the cyst from 2010 to now ..

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
It is not the cyst unless the cyst is huge.
How large exactly?
What other testing have they done currently?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cyst is 1.5 x 1.3 x 1.7cm simple appearing cyst in relation to the pineal gland .

blood tests all okay. Chest xrays all okay. Took samples of stool also. Is unsteady at times when he stands up, may fall back sometimes even when standing. Has headaches sometime severe.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
Unless there is a "mass affect" on the scan, it is not the cyst.
was this an MRI or CT scan?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MRI brain. no mass affect

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
Then seizure is possible, and an EEG should be done.
A negative MRI rules out most, if not all, other causes.
But not an inner ear problem, which would also be a consideration, for ENT.
It does not rule out dysautonmia, which is dysfunction of the involuntary nervous system. A tilt table test would be needed in this regard.
Metabolic problems, such as thyroid disease, should be ruled out as well...lab tests.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.