Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hello, After eating at Mc Donnalds several months ago I

After eating at Mc Donnalds several months ago I suddenly had a very sore throat at the end of the meal. I felt like I had a lump in my throat or some food stuck. Every time I swallowed it was extremely painful and made me gag and retch. I went home and took paracetamol & ibuprophen which helped enough for me to stop gagging but it still hurt. I had lots to drink, trying to make it feel better but hot drinks particuarly made it feel worse. It felt raw and still like I had a small lump there. About an hour after the meal I also started to feel very tired and a little feverish but assumed I was coming down with something. My throat remained sore for a couple of days. The feverish feeling and tiredness had gone by the following day.
I assumed I had just scratched my throat but I ate at the same rastaurant again and the same thing happened twice more, making me run to the loo to vomit. After each time I also would end up feeling tired, feverish and had a headache. Needless to say I no longer go to Mc Donnalds.
It's been a couple of months since this happened and then today I went with my children to Pizza hut as a treat and right at the end of the meal the same thing happened again.
This never happens to me at home or when I eat out at restaurants. I'm wondering if I'm allergic to something? It might sound silly but I feel so rough after this happening that I'm starting to get really paranoid about it. It's also not great when you're sitting at the table and suddenly feel like you're going to vomit.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Does your throat feel more sore when you wake up in the morning? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No it tends to feel a little better by the following morning.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Anita thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. I am myself an ear, nose and throat specialist. As per symptoms the most likely cause of your pain and lump feeling is development of an ulcer (sort of a raw area) which you developed while eating at MC Donald. That ulcer hasn't healed and gets irritated and flare up whenever you eat junk food from outside. Acid reflux from stomach also play a role here and doesn't allow these ulcers to heal completely and they keep giving a feeling of something stuck in the throat. You can't call this an allergy. Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations over the counter available capsule omeprazole 40 mg once daily and tab Tylenol, three times a day should be tried for two weeks and hopefully your symptoms will go away. During this time, avoid any food that aggravates your problem and avoid smoking, tea, coffee and alcohol. If symptoms persist, see an ENT specialist and get examined further but hopefully my suggestions will help you. Rest assured that these symptoms are not indicative of anything serious. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards