DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

For several days have experienced episodes of right side hemiplegia

For several days have experienced episodes of right side hemiplegia lasting between 2 and 15 mins some days only one or two episodes today around 8 episodes of varying length. Seen by Neuro surgeons CT scan clear though ?calcification of carotid arteries MRa scan due. Work as an EMT in Manchester and suffering with general cold symptoms for the same length of time. Sensation begins in throat and epigastric region initially then within seconds pins needles and almost static sensation spreads down right side from jaw to feet, no headache to speak of. Suggested they are variant migraine symptoms had migraine during my teens into late twenties, smoker of 25 years 15 - 20 per day reasonably fit no hx of variant migraine in either parent.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
What is your medical question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do the symptoms suggest variant migraine trying not to attend hospital again with these symptoms as they are following up with a further scan however as i keep having sporadic episodes i am slightly concerned about waiting for seven days for GP appointment. I guess the question is would you advise A&E or due to the symptoms resolving rapidly each time without any sign of bleed TIA or permanent hemiplegia would this be safe to do

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
I would attempt to move up the MRI.
If the symptoms increase in severity or duration, then I would go to a and e for an exam.
Yes variant migraine is possible.
TIA is not so likely....no risk factors.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.