Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

i am 49 years old and have had my mirena IUD in for 6 years.

i am 49 years old and have had my mirena IUD in for 6 years. i have asked my DR to replace it but she says i can leave it in to take me through the menopause. is this right ? i thought it had to be removed or replaced after 5 years. i have no bleeding at all but now i'm worried about it's effectiveness.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

Are you experiencing any menopausal symptoms? Mood changes, missing or irregular periods etc.?

Customer:

no i haven't had periods with the Mirena and have had no symptoms, i didn't realise that it had been 6 years since having it fitted, but when i went for a routine smear test i asked about it.

Dr Uzair :

The Mirena should be replaced after every 5 years but some Obs/Gyn keep the Mirena for longer times and avoid the need to replace the Mirena right before menopause.

Dr Uzair :

This is because, the manufacturer claims that the IUD depletes its hormonal action in 5 years.

Dr Uzair :

Since, near menopause there is little to no chance of getting pregnant or need for birth control, that is why the Obs/Gyn did not replace it.

Dr Uzair :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes, i'm here . but where does it give that advice as i've checked the full prescribing details for the Mirena on their website and it says it should be replaced or removed after 5 years

Dr Uzair :

That is what I am saying, it should be replaced according to what the manufacturer recommends and this is what most practitioners are doing, however, your Obs/Gyn is trusting her clinical experience with the device and thinks that this device will get you through your menopause. I don't necessarily agree with this approach since menopause can occur between 45 to 55 years of age and it is not necessary that you hit menopause at 50.

Dr Uzair :

So, you will need to suggest to your Obs/Gyn that you need to have this replaced.

Dr Uzair :

This is to avoid risking any complications or unwanted pregnancy with the time expired IUD.

Customer:

ok thank you for your help

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes.