Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a simple 10cm cyst on my right kidney. I was taken

I have a simple 10cm cyst on my right kidney. I was taken ill on holiday at the beginning of June and it was thought I had gallstones. I experienced pain in my right shoulder blade going round to the front of my chest. I also had a nasty infection in my system that took some weeks to clear up and I felt quite poorly at this time. My doctor sent me for an ultra sound which showed it was, in fact, a cyst pushing up under my gall bladder.
My doctor referred me to a Specialist with the expectation that he would arrange to drain the cyst. Firstly, the Specialist thought I was in too much discomfort for it to only be a "small cyst" and he arranged for a CT scan to be done. This showed nothing other than the cyst and the Specialist told me I couldnt possibly be getting any discomfort from the cyst and there was no evidence of any previous problems from the cyst.
I have type 2 diabetes and the original infection did show impaired kidney and liver function. I am also only 4'8" tall so a 10cm cyst is quite large really.
My husband would like to book another cruise as I spent the last one in my cabin living on dry toast but I am quite worried that the cyst may rupture whilst we are away. I am still experiencing quite a bit of discomfort on the right hand side of my chest but the Specialist said "it must be muscular". Any advice would be appreciate. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 years ago.
Dr Uzair :

Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Dr Uzair :

How do you feel now?

Customer:

Tired mostly and sometimes very uncomfortable, other times I hardly notice it. I am signed off work at the moment as I have been feeling unwell.

Customer:

I am hoping to go back to work next week for just 3 afternoons and gradually work back up to doing 31 hours.

Dr Uzair :

Okay, tell me about the pain and the discomfort, is it a dull aching pain or a sharp pain and is it related to movements? Also, is the pain on the right side only - where the cyst is?

Customer:

Most times, it feels like I have stitch just under the right side of my rib cage. Movement doesnt often make it worse but can occasionally. Laying down is also uncomfortable.

Dr Uzair :

Alright.

Dr Uzair :

Most cysts on the kidneys are simple cysts and cysts less than 10 cm are usually left alone and they are also usually asymptomatic.

Dr Uzair :

Your cyst is 10 cm - on the border!

Dr Uzair :

You are also symptomatic.

Dr Uzair :

I believe that this should be treated and I also believe that your doctor is ruling out possible conditions such as muscle spasms etc before actively intervening for the cyst.

Dr Uzair :

The CT scan and the ultrasound would have already provided your doctor on invaluable information about this cyst - whether it is thin walled, if it has fluid or is solid etc.

Dr Uzair :

If your pain, discomfort do not subside with the ancillary treatment the doctor has prescribed which includes the rest, then you should return to your doctor for active intervention for the cyst.

Dr Uzair :

Interventions are mostly image guided puncturing, aspiration of the cysts however, some do require surgery, but since this seems to be on the upper pole of the kidney, it will most probably be treated with per cutaneous CT or Ultrasound guided puncture and aspiration.

Customer:

The Specialist has discharged me. I was made to feel that I was making the whole thing up and he did not discuss any information with me regarding the cyst. I was hoping to be booked in to have the cyst punctured but this is not going to happen and I am unable to get and appt with my own doctor until 8th October. I thank you for your time.

Dr Uzair :

Do you need any more information or have queries I can help with?

Customer:

No, thank you very much

Dr Uzair :

It was a pleasure to be of assistance, if you have any future concerns you can always return.

Dr Uzair :

Please do leave a positive rating for the service.

Customer:

Dr Uzair :

Best wishes and feel better soon.

Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.