Dr. Charogat
Dr. Charogat, Doctor
Experience:  Licensed in both NYS and NJ with experience in surgery and medicine.
16403115

My wife has high cholestral at 7.7 and her doctor has put her

My wife has high cholestral at 7.7 and her doctor has put her on simvastatin at 40 mg.I have the same which was 8.6 and on 20mg over the past few years.I am worried that her prescription is to high.mike.
Expert:  Dr. Charogat replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Charogat :

Do you know what the breakup was? ie, what is her LDL number and what is her HDL number? How about your two numbers? (The difference being one is good cholesterol while the other is bad)

Dr. Charogat :

Meanwhile, from the bit of information I've read it does seem like the dose is a bit hi.

Dr. Charogat :

The biggest concern with taking a higher dose is the higher risk of side effects.

Dr. Charogat :

Does this help?

Dr. Charogat :

My computer says you are "standing by" but I haven't had any responses from you?

Customer:

Would you change the strength if she was your patient ?

It would depend on all her medical conditions, her breakdown of LDL and HDL, and whatever other medications she is taking.

My first reaction based only on the information I have here would be that I wouold decrease the amount, but please do not do this without consulting with her doctor prior.

G-d Bless