Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

my husband had a new hip 8 weeks ago all was very good back

my husband had a new hip 8 weeks ago all was very good back to work ect
in the last week he has developed a infection it looked like boils they have now had to take the new hip out! 5days on and he is still in a lot of pain, no appetite and when they try to get him up, he passes out with low blood pressure. He 74yrs.WHAT do you think it is and is going on,
Gillian
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Is he mobile or bed ridden?

Dr. Hasan :

Does he has fever?

Dr. Hasan :

Which treatment he is on?

Customer:

they have tried to get him up, must not weight bare on that leg ,it is very painfull also he passed out.

Dr. Hasan :

I am really sorry about all this.

Dr. Hasan :

Does he has fever?

Customer:

yes he has a slight fever.

Dr. Hasan :

Which medications he is on?

Customer:

They say that they have found out that the infection is something sounds like streptococcal? he is on antibiotics and Morphine..

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your husbands problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. We call it hypotension. There are multiple causes for his passing out during an attempt to make him get up.

Dr. Hasan :

The causes include low intake of fluids, infection in the blood stream (as he has infection in his hip and that infection can go into blood stream to cause low blood pressure) and lastly it can be due to pooling of blood in his legs. Normally blood is supposed to be pumped back into heart.

Dr. Hasan :

But in people who are in bed due to any illness or whose leg muscles are inactive due to any problem, the blood can pool in legs and when they stand up, they pass out because of not enough blood going to heart and brain.

Dr. Hasan :

The point is what should he do now.

Dr. Hasan :

1. His doctors must monitor his intake and out put of fluids.

Dr. Hasan :

I hope he is in hospital.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover before making him stand up, his leg massage should be done to pump blood towards heart.

Customer:

yes he is in hospiital

Dr. Hasan :

He should fist be allowed to sit in bed and then stand up after a min. While sitting he should move his toes frequently to pump blood back to heart.

Dr. Hasan :

Good

Dr. Hasan :

Lastly I hope that they have sent his blood culture and giving him antibiotics.

Dr. Hasan :

He is going to through a major stress and don't worry he will be fine in few days.

Dr. Hasan :

Getting out of this physical stress takes time.

Dr. Hasan :

Sometime even weeks.

Customer:

He has had foot pumbs on both feet they have now put his leg in traction

Dr. Hasan :

Ok yes that is required in his case.

Dr. Hasan :

Hopefully he will feel better soon but it will take time and this passing out feeling will go away too.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question that want to ask?

Customer:

they say he will have to wait another 6 weeks before he can have another hip will he be in this pain until then?

Dr. Hasan :

That is right that he has to wait for 6 weeks but he shouldn't be in pain until then. They should control his pain by adding more morphine or by adding other pain killers.

Customer:

and how will i cope with him at home what can i get to make him comfortable.

Dr. Hasan :

The pain killers have to be prescribed by doctor.

Dr. Hasan :

But you must get a home monitor for checking his blood sugar, blood pressure, pulse rate and temperature.

Dr. Hasan :

This way you can keep his vital signs under observation and can report to his doctors.

Dr. Hasan :

He will be in need of full support and you can ask for community services offered by government for these patients.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything specific in your mind?

Dr. Hasan :

that you want me to clarify?

Customer:

moving about! how to build him back up as he has lost wieght and has no strngth

Dr. Hasan :

Yes this is very important.

Dr. Hasan :

Mainly you should focus on protein diet.

Dr. Hasan :

For that you should give him meat, beans, protein bars and you can buy Ensure powder from pharmacy without prescription.

Dr. Hasan :

Just add 5 table spoon of it in one glass of water.

Dr. Hasan :

Stir it and make him drink that twice daily/

Dr. Hasan :

You can ask his doctors to give you a food chart for him or he must see a nutritionist for this purpose

Dr. Hasan :

But as far as what you can do yourself is concerned, you must focus on protein diet with the help of ingredients mentioned above

Customer:

i am sure i will cope and i expect there is a lot more i will want to know once he is home.i feel so helpless. Thank You regards Gillian

Dr. Hasan :

You are welcome but don't worry you can always be in touch with me. I am here to help you. My best wishes and prayers will be with you. I wish him good luck and that he gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery