DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My daughter (5) has a persistent high temperature (started

My daughter (5) has a persistent high temperature (started Friday last, although Calpol and neurofen brought it down until Sunday, when she was fine. Temp started again this morning at 5.20 a.m. (between 37.9 and 39.6 all day notwithstanding full age appropriate doses of both calpol and Neurofen today), she in the last few minutes is complaining that the daylight is too bright. She saw her GP this morning who examined her and prescribed an antibiotic to start in a day or two if she did not improve. I am concerned. Am I paranoid?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
What is your specific concern currently?
Why was the antibiotic started?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Her tonsils are slightly enlarged and looking a little inflamed. Antibiotic has not been started yet. I was advised to wait 24/48 hours to see if she improves before beginning the antibiotic.

She has NO appetite and it is extremely difficult to convince her to drink much fluid.

I am concerned about meningitis

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
OK
They should have tested for strep.
If they did not, then that is not a good practice in my view.,......as strep should be treated.
You are not indicating meningitis.
Photo phobia is far more common with sinus infection.
I would call the doctor and discuss why strep was not tested, and probably start the antibiotic.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 2 years ago.
thanks
I am board certified in integrative medicine, internal medicine, trained in functional medicine and homeopathy, etc. I have taken care of patients in all walks of medicine for over 20 years. I am here daily: use my request link as needed and “for Dr. Thomas” in the question title. Give that link to friends, family, associates, etc. Find me as needed for correct, safe and accurate answers.