Dr.Amita
Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.Faculty at a leading tertiary care teaching hospital.
20638885

I fell and injured my thumb and for 2 weeks I thought it would

I fell and injured my thumb and for 2 weeks I thought it would get better. I was then in Dubai and felt it was not getting any better so went to hospital there and got an X-ray. I was told I had chipped the bone between the on the underside of the knuckle. I got a cast on. 2 weeks after I got it x rayed again at home and was told the same. I was in the cast for another 2 weeks. I have now taken off the cast and my thumb is pretty swollen from top to bottom and is quite tender rapt the base of my thumb as well as where it was chipped.
Is this normal just after a cast is taken off or should I take advise from someone? If so who?
Expert:  Dr.Amita replied 2 years ago.
Dr.Amita :

Dr.Amita :

This is not normal.You should see a hand surgeon for this.He should be able to examine you and assess you for any injury which may have occurred in addition to the bony chip as finger joints have other structures as well like ligaments which may have been injured.

Dr.Amita :

Please ask if you have any more questions on this.